Another batch of 1,227 pilgrims leaves for Amarnath shrineJuly 7th, 2008 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, July 7 (ANI): A fresh batch of 1,227 pilgrims left for the Amarnath yatra from the base camp of Bhagwati Nagar early this morning.
According to official sources, the devotees, including 748 men, 310 women, 35 children and 134 sadhus, left in a convoy of 35 vehicles. They were escorted by a group of CRPF personnel.
The cavalcade carrying the pilgrims has crossed Batote and will reach Pahalgam and Baltal base camps in Kashmir valley by this evening. A total of 42,758 pilgrims have so far left the shrine. The first batch left on June 17. The pilgrimage ends on August 16.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the pilgrimage to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jun 19, 2009
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes after three days from Jammu - Jul 25, 2010
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Fresh batch of 2083 pilgrims leave for Amarnath - Jul 19, 2010
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, base camps, cavalcade, convoy, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, kashmir, kilometres, pilgrimage, pilgrims, sadhus, security forces, security setup, trek