Anna Hazare’s ‘Lokpal Bill’ crusade gets a fillip from his home districtApril 8th, 2011 - 9:55 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmednagar, Apr 8(ANI): Admirers of social activist Anna Hazare from Maharashtra’s Ahmednagar district took to the streets on Friday to extend their support to the crusade for a stronger anti-corruption Lokpal Bill.
Hazare hails from Ralegan Siddhi, a village in Ahmednagar that he reformed as a role model for the rest of the country.
Talking to mediapersons, Vishwas Bhambolkar, a RTI (Right to Information) activist, said that the support has been phenomenal with scores of youths joining the demo.
“The response that we are getting is growing by the minute. Today you can see the number of people that are here; it is phenomenal. Secondly, the kind of enthusiasm that the youngsters joining us have had, we have had a road block programme just few minutes back and now as we go ahead, we are getting lot of calls from our businessmen friends, who are saying that they are in one form or the other indulged in corruption, so therefore they feel that it would not be proper for them to be joining this agitation,” Bhambolkar said.
A good number among the supporters tonsured their heads as an index of their support to Hazare.
“Today a road has been blocked and many youth have shaved their heads as a mark of solidarity with Anna Hazare’s crusade to cleanse the system from corruption,” said Rajesh Mishra, a supporter in Ahmednagar.
Hazare began fast-unto-death movement in New Delhi on Monday demanding the involvement of civil society in the drafting of the Lokpal Bill. (ANI)
- Parallel agitations in Mumbai, Delhi: Hazare - Dec 23, 2011
- Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare - Sep 10, 2011
- Protests gather momentum, over 1,000 detained in Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Anna Hazare may make it to 'Time' cover soon - Nov 26, 2011
- Anna issues ultimatum to Congress, battlelines drawn - Oct 05, 2011
- Shutdown in Hazare's village, protests in Pune, Mumbai - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare returns to native village - Sep 01, 2011
- Hazare unwell, advised rest ahead of fast - Dec 08, 2011
- Bollywood hails Anna Hazare's triumph - Apr 11, 2011
- 100 arrested in Mumbai for protesting Anna's detention (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare returns to village after treatment - Feb 18, 2012
- Hazare leaves for Ralegan Siddhi - Dec 29, 2011
- No-bath protest in Hazare's village - Aug 18, 2011
- Team Anna going strong, will be revamped: Hazare (Second lead) - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: admirers, agitation, anna hazare, businessmen, corruption, crusade, demo, few minutes, fillip, lokpal bill, maharashtra, New Delhi, ralegan siddhi, role model, social activist, solidarity, vishwas, youngsters