Animals in Aurangabad zoo not fed for two daysDecember 26th, 2010 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
By Abdul Hadi
Aurangabad, Dec.26 (ANI): Animals in the ‘Siddharth Garden’ zoo were left hungry due to a food shortage occurred following mismanagement by the authorities here on Sunday.
The authorities were shifting the blame for not providing food to the animals on each other.
Madhukar Anavadya, the Animal Conservation Committee chairman, lamented over the issue and suggested the zoo officials to look into the matter.
“The incident which happened inside the zoo maintained by the Municipal Corporation of Aurangabad has not left anybody happy in the District. These animals cannot speak but earn good revenue for the municipal corporation and these animals were kept hungry for two days this is indeed very saddening. We hope that this incident is not repeated again,” said Anavadya.
The authorities claimed that timing of food should be maintained and admitted that there has been a lapse in management and the food for the animals has been arriving late since past two or three days.
“Providing good quality of food and that too on time is very important. If that is not maintained then the health of animals will be affected and their mortality will be increased. The food had arrived late since 2-3 days but the food to zoo inmates was never stopped as such,” said J. P. Nahakwade, zoo superintendent.
The ‘Siddharth Garden’ zoo is considered as the largest zoo in the State. It is a home for several herbivorous and carnivorous animals like deer, monkeys, tiger and lions. (ANI)
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Aurangabad tigress gifted to Jamshedpur's Tata Zoological Park - Dec 11, 2010
- Loss of predators tied with deforestation - Apr 10, 2012
- Jameshedpur's Tata Zoo starts deer sterilization drive - Aug 11, 2010
- Leopard, lion die in Bangalore zoo - Oct 24, 2010
- On Diwali, it's treat time for Lucknow zoo animals - Oct 17, 2009
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Rising deaths of captive animals, PETA wants zoos closed - Sep 16, 2009
- Tiger cubs spread joy at Aurangabad zoo (With Image) - Apr 14, 2010
- Monkeys are back, Shimla takes cover - Sep 30, 2011
- Adulterated milk packets seized, destroyed in Aurangabad - Oct 08, 2010
- Alipore Zoo's 60 spotted deer to be sent to Sunderban Park - Aug 07, 2010
- Apex court mulling total ban on plastic (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Rising deer population a headache for Delhi Zoo - Dec 30, 2010
- On an Indian monkey that strayed into Pakistan - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: animal conservation, authorities, carnivorous animals, committee chairman, conservation committee, deer, food shortage, garden zoo, hadi, herbivorous, inmates, lions, madhukar, mismanagement, monkeys, mortality, shifting the blame, superintendent, tiger, zoo officials