Animal lovers promote vegetarianism in MPJune 5th, 2008 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
Bhopal, June 5 (ANI): Animal lovers in Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal wore bio-hazard suits in a novel protest to create awareness about the ill effects of consuming meat.
Wearing the suits, members of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) held placards that read ‘Meat is toxic for you and the environment.’
“Our PETA activists are wearing biohazard suits that tells how meat is toxic for human beings and for the environment. On the occasion of World Environment Day, we want to spread the message that if people will continue eating meat and meat products, the entire earth will get destroyed. Meat is toxic for the entire universe and will make survival of human beings difficult on earth,” said Nikunj Sharma, campaign coordinator, PETA.
PETA activists quoting the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization said the meat industry generates more greenhouse gases than all transportation methods of the world.
Animal agriculture produces over 100 million tons of methane a year, they added.
About 85 per cent of this methane is produced in the digestive processes of livestock, and the collective effect on the environment of hundreds of millions of livestock worldwide releasing methane is enormous.
According to PETA activists, the best way to reduce global warming was to reduce or culminate the consumption of animals. (ANI)
- Campaign against non-veg food to save planet - Jun 04, 2008
- Bizarre feed supplement could cut greenhouse emissions by gassy cows - Sep 08, 2010
- Slashing meat intake vital for curbing emissions - Apr 16, 2012
- PETA urges people to avoid fish-eating in Tamil Nadu - Mar 10, 2010
- Lab-grown meat would cut emissions: Study - Jun 20, 2011
- Declare Earth Day meat-free day, PETA tells PM - Apr 21, 2010
- Eat meat, save the planet: Former Brit Vegan - Sep 20, 2010
- Gaga's raw meat bikini angers PETA - Sep 08, 2010
- Hot springs of volcanic crater in Siberia reveals ancient ecology - Apr 27, 2011
- Cows grazing on "super grass" may produce up to 20 per cent more milk - Mar 01, 2010
- Grazing cows can actually cut global warming - Apr 08, 2010
- Alec Baldwin Will Host PETA Awards - Sep 03, 2010
- Coriander, turmeric key to reducing greenhouse gas emissions - Jul 06, 2010
- PETA organises 'Easter Protest' in Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Lady Gaga defends meat dress - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: animal agriculture, animal lovers, bhopal, bio hazard suits, campaign coordinator, digestive processes, eating meat, ethical treatment of animals, food and agriculture organization, greenhouse gases, ill effects, madhya pradesh, meat industry, meat products, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta activists, transportation methods, treatment of animals, world animal, world environment day