Andhra student commits suicide, parents allege raggingJune 9th, 2009 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
Warangal (AP) June 9 (ANI): A second-year MCA student committed suicide after he was allegedly ragged by his seniors in the college.
The body of D Devender Kumar was found on the railway tracks at Dharmaram in Geesukonda mandal of Warangal district this morning.
The deceased, a native of Choppadandi village in Karimnagar district, was a student of Vasavi engineering college at Ibrahimbagh in Hyderabad.
The victim’s sister, Dande Gyaneswari said her brother used to complain incessantly about ragging.
“The college was informed, but no action was taken. My brother can never commit suicide. This is a case of ragging,” she added.
The police however have only registered a case of suicide, as there is no evidence of ragging.
On May 7, the Supreme Court had asked all State Governments to set up committees to prevent incidents of ragging in educational institutions across the country. All State Governments have been asked to give an undertaking to the court about the steps taken by them to eradicate the menace.
In March, the apex court had issued notices to the Andhra Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh Governments, on the death of first-year medical science student Aman Kachroo due to ragging, and an attempt-to-suicide case by a female student of the Bapatla Agricultural and Engineering College after she was allegedly forced to dance nude by her seniors.
The Prevention of the Ragging in Colleges and Institutions Bill was introduced in the Rajya Sabha in 2005. The Bill makes ragging punishable with imprisonment up to three years and a fine of Rs 25,000. (ANI)
- Supreme Court asks state govts to set up committees to prevent ragging - May 08, 2009
- Convicts freed early, ragging victim's father slams system - Aug 18, 2012
- Sibal launches anti-ragging portal - Jul 26, 2012
- Dharamsala court to pronounce verdict in Kachroo murder case - Nov 11, 2010
- SC issues notice to Himachal, Andhra Govt. on ragging cases - Mar 16, 2009
- Dharamsala court finds all four guilty in Kachroo murder case - Nov 11, 2010
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts set free before term - Aug 18, 2012
- Medical student suspended for ragging - Jan 03, 2012
- Ragging accused sent to judicial custody - Aug 06, 2011
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
- SC suspends Kangra medical college principal over ragging death - Mar 30, 2009
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012
- Apex court orders action against college authorities for ragging - Mar 30, 2009
- Aman Kachroo case: Himachal HC cancels bail of all accused - Jul 28, 2010
- Three students held for ragging in Himachal - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, apex, apex court, committed suicide, dande, devender, educational institutions, engineering college, imprisonment, mandal, mca, medical science, railway, rajya sabha, science student, seniors, state governments, student commits suicide, suicide case, undertaking