Andhra Pradesh reeling under flood, death toll rises to 53August 10th, 2008 - 10:43 pm ICT by ANI
Hyderabad, August 10 (ANI): At least 53 people are feared dead, as incessant rains lashed Andhra Pradesh over the past five days.
Heavy rains and flash floods since Tuesday has resulted in widespread devastation in Hyderabad and eight other districts in coastal Andhra Pradesh and the Telangana region.
Hyderabad bore the brunt of the calamity with 14 people losing their lives, mostly in house collapses. Over 50 residential areas in and around the state capital were inundated with overflowing tanks and storm water drains.
Dozens of villages in the eight districts are under water as many rivers and water tanks were either overflowing or have breached.
Normal life came to a standstill in the affected districts as some roads are under water. Also, vehicular traffic between major towns remained paralysed.
Hundreds of vehicles were stranded on the Hyderabad-Vijayawada and the Bhadrachalam-Vijayawada roads.
Moreover, weather officials have predicted more showers in north coastal Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Some places are likely to receive more than 25 centimeter of rainfall.
Authorities have warned people living in low-lying areas to move to safer places while fishermen were advised not to venture out to the sea. (ANI)
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Andhra floods toll mounts to 70, officials say situation grim (Lead) - Aug 10, 2008
- Flood situation grim in Andhra, toll rises to 53 - Aug 10, 2008
- Rains claim 16 lives, damage crops in Andhra - Dec 08, 2010
- Heavy rains kill nine in Hyderabad, many colonies submerged (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Andhra court stays release of water to Krishna delta - Jul 16, 2012
- Heavy rains wreak havoc in coastal Andhra - Nov 01, 2010
- 14 killed in Andhra rains, standing crops damaged - Dec 08, 2010
- Life hit as heavy rains lash Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2010
- Two killed, crops damaged as rains lash Andhra - Dec 07, 2010
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Andhra rains cause havoc, toll rises to 25 - Nov 03, 2010
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Traffic between Vijayawada, Hyderabad resumes - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: august 10, brunt, calamity, centimeter, death toll, devastation, fishermen, flash floods, heavy rains, hyderabad, incessant rains, many rivers, rainfall, residential areas, standstill, storm water, vehicular traffic, vijayawada, water tanks, weather officials