Andhra district’s ancient temple gate collapsesMay 27th, 2010 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
Srikalahasti, (Andhra Pradesh) May 27 (ANI): The ‘Rajagopuram’ or main gate of the 500-year-old Srikalahasti Temple in Andhra Pradesh’s Chittoor District collapsed late on Wednesday night.
Srikalahasti is popularly known as “Dakshina Kaashi”
Though there were no casualties, over 100 monkeys living in the temple premises are feared to have been buried in the debris.
Locals and experts blamed the collapse of the gate to unbridled drilling for tube wells in and around the area.
A week back, cracks were noticed on the 136-feet gopuram.
On Tuesday, a three-member team of experts from Chennai inspected the temple and declared the area around the gopuram extending up to 150 meters as a danger zone.
The temple administration had evacuated over 30 families living in its vicinity on Tuesday night.
According to sources, by Wednesday, a portion of it had crumbled at around 8.10 p.m. Twenty minutes later, the entire structure built by Vijaynagar King Krishnadevaraya collapsed.
But, miraculously, as the debris fell, Krishnadevaraya’s statue right in front of the gopuram was left unscathed.
The architectural marvel was built by Krishnadevaraya in 1516 AD to celebrate his victory over the Gajapathi kingdom.
The temple had developed cracks in the late 1980s too.
In 1996, The Tirupati-Tirumala Devasthanam(TTD) Board had helped in its renovation of the gate to fill in the breaches. (ANI)
- Towering entrance of Andhra Pradesh temple collapses - May 27, 2010
- Tirupati temple to decide on Janardhana Reddy's offering - Sep 09, 2011
- Andhra government to rebuild collapsed temple tower - May 27, 2010
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- TTD to conduct mass marriages in US - Apr 04, 2012
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- 10 arrested near Tirumala temple - Jul 08, 2011
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Mass marriages in Andhra; 12,000 enter into wedlock - May 20, 2011
- President Mukherjee's first official visit to Chennai, Tiruputi - Sep 07, 2012
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
- Action sought against Jagan over Tirupati row, YSR party hits back (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Panel moots upping security for Tirupati jewels - Jun 18, 2010
- Rajapaksa prays for team at Tirupati, leaves for Mumbai - Apr 02, 2011
- Tirupati temple deposits 1,175 kg gold with SBI - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: 1980s, ancient temple, andhra pradesh, breaches, casualties, chittoor district, collapse, cracks, danger zone, krishnadevaraya, member team, monkeys, renovation, team of experts, temple gate, temple premises, tirupati tirumala, tube wells, twenty minutes, vicinity