Andhra, Chhattisgarh fisherfolk warned not to venture out to seaSeptember 16th, 2008 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
Vishakhapatnam, Sept.16 (ANI): Fishermen in coastal Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, particularly along Vishakhapatnam, have been warned not to venture out to sea in the wake of a depression over northwest Bay of Bengal.
Meteorological warnings said that the depression is moving northwest wards, and as of 11.30 a.m. lay centred about 130 kms southeast of Chandbali.
Officials said the system is likely to intensify further and move in a west-northwesterly direction and cross Orissa coast near Chandbali by this evening.
Most places are likely to experience heavy to very heavy rainfall during next 48 hours. Rainfall is likely over north coastal Andhra Pradesh and Chhatisgarh and isolated showers are likely over Gangetic West Bengal and Jharkhand.
Squally winds with speeds reaching 55-65 kmph are likely along and off Orissa and West Bengal coast during next 24 hours. The condition of the sea is very rough to high along and off these coasts. (ANI)
- Andhra escapes rain fury as depression moves to Orissa - Oct 08, 2010
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Rains claim 16 lives, damage crops in Andhra - Dec 08, 2010
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Andhra Pradesh faces threat of cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- 14 killed in Andhra rains, standing crops damaged - Dec 08, 2010
- Arabian Sea depression may move towards Oman coast - Nov 28, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra on high alert as cyclonic storm intensifies - May 18, 2010
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, bay of bengal, chhatisgarh, chhattisgarh, coasts, depression, fishermen, jharkhand, kmph, meteorological warnings, northwest bay, northwesterly direction, orissa coast, rainfall, showers, squally, vishakhapatnam, wards, west bengal