Anant Singh’s bail petition comes for hearing todayNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:36 am ICT by admin
The court also issued a warrant for production of the MLA in connection with an assault case separately lodged by Asian News International (ANI) cameraperson Ajay Kumar.
Anant Singh, who is presently lodged in Beur Jail at Patna, had moved the CJM’s court for bail in the two cases.
Anant Singh and four of his supporters were arrested after they had gone to the politician’s residence for a reaction in connection to allegations that he had raped and murdered a young woman, Reshma Khatoon.
The woman had sent a letter to the Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, police officials and media persons before her death, accusing Anant Singh, his associate Mukesh Singh and a bodyguard of the legislator of raping her.
All were remanded to judicial custody till November 13.
Popularly known as Chhote Sarkar, Anant Singh is the JD (U) legislator from Mokama town.
He was elected to the State Assembly for the first time from Mokama in 2005, when he defeated Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP Surajbhan Singh’s brother Lallan.
Anant Singh, considered close to Nitish Kumar, faces over 32 cases of murder, extortion and kidnapping in Barh and Mokama region, besides three in Patna.
He is said to have control over acres of land in Tal area of Mokama and Barh. It is believed he has amassed huge property in urban areas as well.
In 2004, Singh was seen brandishing an AK-56 rifle at a function in his ancestral village, Nadma. But no action was taken against him. (ANI)
- JD (U) MLA Anant Singh gets bail - Nov 14, 2007
- Bihar shutdown successful, says Rabri Devi (lead: Bihar shutdown - Nov 14, 2007
- RJD calls for 12-hour Bihar shutdown today - Nov 14, 2007
- Shutdown affects normal life in Bihar - Nov 14, 2007
- Bihar court acquits 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Feb 03, 2012
- Bihar legislator murder: Court grants bail to editor - Apr 28, 2011
- Bihar legislator's murder: Graver charges against teacher - Aug 09, 2011
- Bihar police officer says legislator a threat to peaceful polls - Mar 30, 2009
- Bihar legislator's murder: Charges framed against teacher - Jun 10, 2011
- Bihar court seeks arrest of 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Sep 15, 2011
- Two JD-U candidates haven't aged since 2005 - Oct 26, 2010
- Case pending against him, Bihar minister resigns (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Summons to Bihar chief minister in 1991 case - Sep 03, 2009
- Jailed don throws lavish party for fellow inmates - Apr 05, 2009
- Custody of girl raped by BSP legislator extended in theft case - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: adjourned, ajay kumar, anant singh, ancestral village, bail, barh, case diary, cjm, extortion, habib ali, judicial magistrate, khatoon, legislator, ljp, media persons, ndtv, nitish kumar, patna, remanded