An NRI comes forward to help slum dog kid with her educationApril 21st, 2009 - 8:13 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 21 (ANI): After watching the ongoing trouble and tribulations in the family of Slumdog Millionaire’s child artiste Rubina Ali through media, an NRI came forward to support Rubina with her education.
According to reports, Rubina’s father Rafiq Qureshi was caught on camera agreeing to sell his daughter to an Arab Sheikh.
Abdul Rehman Vanoo, the NRI, runs a trust in Mumbai by the name of Anjum Ittiehahul Mustaqim.
“What I heard from the media is really not tolerable. She has not done any fault. So why should she suffer and why should she leave her education because of this issue? She should continue and along with her if another brother or sister of hers is ready to educate themselves, then we will support them in all manner,” said Vanoo.
Vanoo on Tuesday visited the slum area in Garib Nagar residence where Rubina stays with her family.
Rubina was quite happy with this decision, as she seemed to be very keen in completing her education.
“I am willing to study. I am very happy that uncle Vanoo has come to visit us,” said Rubina.
Meanwhile, Qureshi continued to deny the allegations against him claiming that he was trapped.
“I meet so many people everyday in our country during various occasions and programs. But these people wanted to set a trap around me and in front of a hidden camera tried to buy my child. I didn’t let go off my child during our worst phase then how can I go and sell her now when she has become so famous,” he said.
A British newspaper reported that Qureshi tried to sell his nine-year old daughter for adoption to a family from Middle East for 20 million rupees and settle at a place away from the Mumbai slums. (ANI)
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina's mom drags her, ex-husband to police - Apr 19, 2009
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- Bandra's 'Millionaire' star remains at neighbour's mercy - Mar 07, 2011
- A Pakistani woman who runs slum school by selling scrap - Aug 02, 2011
- Slumdog star Rubina Ali shoots Schweppes ad with Nicole Kidman - May 07, 2009
- Rubina's father rubbishes allegation of selling daughter - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina up for sale, father asks for 200,000 pounds - Apr 19, 2009
- Slumdog Millionaire's child star's family home destroyed in huge fire - Mar 05, 2011
- Sick Rubina Ali spends night on hospital floor - May 23, 2009
- Rubina's estranged mom shocked over 'sale' reports - Apr 19, 2009
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- "Slumdog Millionaire" child actress Rubina Ali loses home in a fire - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Slumdog' kid Azhar's parents could not vote - Apr 30, 2009
Tags: adoption, ali, allegations, brother, child artiste, hidden camera, middle east, millionaire, mumbai slums, nri, occasions, qureshi, rafiq, rehman, rubina, rupees, s child, sheikh, slum area, tribulations