An HIV positive person wins Mr. Manipur titleJanuary 14th, 2008 - 4:45 pm ICT by admin
By L C K Singh
Imphal, Jan 12 (ANI): Khundrakpam Pradipkumar, an HIV positive bodybuilder, has recently won the title of Mr. Manipur for the 60 Kg Category.
“I want to prove the worth of an HIV positive person,” he said adding that a victory of a dream with the support of a strong will power. 37-year-old, Pradipkumar won the coveted title which is the dream of many young men.
Pradipkumar came to know about his HIV status only in 2000 but did not lose the hope, even when most of his friends who shared the needles with him, died long back.
“Every person believes that once you are infected by HIV, you will die. But this is not a fact. If you will continue to consume the medicine on time and have healthy food, than you can spend your life in a normal way. This is what I wanted to show to the people. That’s why I began to play,” he said.
Acting as a role model for the many in Manipur, which is among the top rankers in the list of HIV, induced by injections.
Unfortunately, during his growing up days only, he started using heroin and by 1987 he started injecting them, which pushed him in the clutches of deadly HIV.
“My happiness is beyond the words. I am very proud of my son. He is very brave and courageous but with only one mistake that he committed. He has been rendered helpless like an accident like an accident victim. But despite all odds, he has made it so far, for which as a mother my happiness knows no bounds,” said Kh. Memma Devi, Pradipkumar’s mother.
Pardipkumar got third position in state level wrestling championship in 1985 and gold medal in the state level power lifting in 1987.
Now, he is targeting to take part in the Mr. India competition, to be held in Meerut at Uttar Pradesh in March 2008, to cover another stair of success. (ANI)
- After 'Iron Lady', Manipur produces a 'Mr India' - Nov 24, 2010
- Body-builder making Manipur proud - Jan 14, 2011
- Schwarzenegger's parents thought he was 'wacky' - Apr 17, 2010
- Ignoring PM directive, Mukul Roy leaves for Junglemahal - Jul 12, 2011
- Nothing impossible for a determined man: CBSE topper (Second Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Three militants arrested in Meghalaya - May 24, 2012
- Nothing impossible if one is determined: CBSE topper (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- I used steroids for six to eight weeks: Charlie Sheen - Jun 30, 2011
- Sangram Singh of Maharashtra crowned Mr. India - Feb 21, 2011
- Beyonce pays handwritten tribute to mom - May 15, 2012
- Lives in peril: Inside Manipur's drug zone - Dec 13, 2011
- Sehwag visits hospital to show his support for HIV patients - Mar 04, 2011
- Use protection, celebs advise on World AIDS Day - Dec 01, 2010
- I thought Courteney Cox was cheating on me, says David Arquette - Feb 25, 2011
- Unending violence instills fear among Manipuris - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: accident victim, all odds, bodybuilder, clutches, gold medal, happiness, healthy food, heroin, hiv, hiv status, imphal, manipur, meerut, mistake, mr india, needles, role model, third position, victory, young men