Amit Shah likely to appear before media as CBI seeks trial outside GujaratJuly 25th, 2010 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, July 25 (ANI): Former Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah is likely to address media persons sometime today, even as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) continues to pursue him in connection with the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
Shah has been on the run for the last three days, attempting to evade arrest till Monday when his lawyers will probably move an anticipatory bail application before the Gujarat High Court.
According to television reports, he is likely to present a point-by-point defence against the charges leveled by the CBI.
Meanwhile, CBI sleuths have sought the help of Intelligence Bureau (IB) to trace Shah.
According to sources, apart from IB, the CBI sleuths have also formed five to eight teams to know the exact whereabouts of Shah.
A CBI court in Gandhinagar on Friday evening rejected Shah’s anticipatory bail plea that he had filed through his lawyer to avoid arrest in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case.
The CBI has filed a 30,000-page charge sheet against Shah, accusing him of complicity in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case. They now want to conduct his trial and eventual imprisonment outside the state of Gujarat
Sohrabuddin and his wife were killed in an alleged fake encounter in 2005.
In March 2007, police said Sohrabuddin, belonged to Lashkar-e-Toiba and was planning to assassinate Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to avenge the death of Muslims killed in the 2002 Gujarat riots.
The government also admitted that Sohrabuddin’s innocent wife Kausar Bi had been killed by the police and her body burnt in an attempt to remove traces of the crime.
The Gujarat Government admitted that senior police officers were directly involved in the killing of Sohrabuddin, and his wife, Kausar Bi, in 2005.
The admission came as a result of the intervention of Supreme Court, which ordered investigations into this case. The CBI took up the case on directions of the Supreme Court. Earlier, the apex court had asked the CBI to probe if there was any larger conspiracy to the killings and submit the report by July 31. (ANI)
- Supreme Court orders CBI probe in Gujarat Prajapati encounter case - Apr 08, 2011
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI summons former Gujarat DGP - Jul 29, 2010
- Resignation of Amit Shah too little too late: Congress - Jul 24, 2010
- CBI to file charge sheet in Prajapati case few days - Aug 28, 2012
- Sohrabuddin case: Gujarat's Home Minister skips appointment with CBI - Jul 23, 2010
- Amit Shah to get chargesheet today - Jul 27, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI plea against Amit Shah bail in Supreme Court - Dec 14, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah resigns - Jul 24, 2010
- Gadkari blames UPA Govt. of CBI's misuse - Jul 26, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI begins questioning Amit Shah - Jul 28, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Gujarat's Home Minister to appear before CBI today - Jul 23, 2010
- Gujarat ex-DSP M.K. Amin turns approver against Amit Shah - Jul 26, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Gujarat's Home Minister fails to appear before CBI - Jul 22, 2010
- Sohrabuddin fake encounter case: CBI summons Gujarat's Home Minister - Jul 22, 2010
- Strong proof against 13 cops in Sohrabuddin killing: Shah (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, bail plea, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, complicity, exact whereabouts, gandhinagar, gujarat government, gujarat high court, home minister, innocent wife, intelligence bureau, media persons, narendra, point defence, sohrabuddin sheikh, state of gujarat, suprem, television reports