Ambedkar Memorial in Lucknow to cost seven billion rupeesMarch 5th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, March 5 (ANI): Mayawati-led Uttar Pradesh government looks all set to built a la Taj Mahal in the State capital, as this is the only feeling that comes to ones mind after looking at the magnificent Ambedkar Memorial being built here at a whopping cost of seven billon rupees.
The extravagancy on the Ambedkar Memorial appears a mockery of people living in funds-deprived Bundelkhand and Poorvanchal regions of the State.
It is well-known fact that the Uttar Pradesh government is seeking rupees 800 billion (80,000 crore) from the Centre for development works in the State. Over 2,700 workers are working day-night to complete the work in the stipulated time, as the memorial park is to be opened for public on April 14 by the Chief Minister herself. Two fountains worth rupees 30 million (three crore rupees) have been installed along with nearly 3,000 elephants for a grand look. People will then remember that Ms. Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Partys symbol happens to be the elephant.
The estimated cost of 64 elephants sculpted in sandstone is around rupees 38.44 crores. These are to be installed on the main gate of the memorial. Three hundred and fifty Rajasthan artisans have been brought to Uttar Pradesh for the project.
According to social activist Shailendra Singh, the initiative is more of a political tantrum since the Government has been vying asking the Centre for funds to start developmental projects and on the other hand, millions have been spent for a ‘dream project’.
“The present Government is saying that its running short of funds and asking for doles from the Central Government. They claim of not having the money for the development of Poorvanchal and Bundelkhand while they have literally drowned rupees 830 millions in water. And, now you are investing rupees five billion for which they do not have any justification,” said Shailendra Singh in Lucknow.
“There would be approximately 3,000 elephants including both big and small. Its importance could only be known once it was prepared,” said Gangaram, one of the artisans. (ANI)
- mbedkar Memorial in Lucknow to cost seven billion rupees - Mar 06, 2008
- Mayawati rues lack of central assistance - Aug 15, 2011
- No bail for three accused of vandalising Mayawati statue - Aug 07, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh not utilising central funds effectively: Khurshid - Aug 15, 2011
- Mayawati opens Ambedkar statues - Dec 06, 2010
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- BJP on ventilator in Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - Nov 25, 2011
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- Issue white paper on money spent on parks: Amar Singh to Mayawati - Nov 15, 2011
- Mayawati trying to misguide people: SP - Nov 15, 2011
- Mulayam, Mayawati neglected Muslims, development: Rahul Gandhi - Jan 28, 2012
- Congress slams Mayawati for 'wasting public money' - Oct 14, 2011
- Rahul continues broadside against Mayawati, Mulayam - Nov 24, 2011
- On I-Day, Mayawati rues lack of central assistance (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- History and logic favour Uttar Pradesh's division (Comment) - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,