Amarnath yatra suspended for third consecutive dayJune 18th, 2009 - 1:41 pm ICT by ANI
Baltal Sonamarg (J-K), June 18 (ANI): The annual Amarnath yatra was suspended from Jammu for the third consecutive day on Thursday due to rain and fresh snowfall.
No fresh batch was allowed to proceed from the base camp at Bhagwati Nagar in Jammu or from Baltal to the cave shrine.
Since the yatra started on Monday, only one batch of 900 devotees has left from the base camp at Jammu for onward journey to Baltal.
The other route from Pahalgam has not yet been fully cleared of snow and government will take a decision on June 22 about throwing it open for pilgrims.
The Jammu and Kashmir government and the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has set up three base camps at Bhagwati Nagar in Jammu, Nunwan in Pahalgam and Baltal for providing food and lodging facilities to pilgrims.Located in Jammu and Kashmir, the Amarnath caves shrine is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The main shrine is claimed to be over 5,000 years old.
Last year, over 450,000 pilgrims visited the cave. The two month long pilgrimage will conclude on August 5. (ANI)
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Fresh batch of 1,395 Amarnath pilgrims leaves Jammu for holy shrine - Jun 21, 2009
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- All set for Amarnath pilgrimage from June 29 - Jun 25, 2011
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jun 19, 2009
- Amarnath yatra resumes after three days from Jammu - Jul 25, 2010
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: amarnath yatra, base camps, caves, devotees, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, journey, kashmir, lodging facilities, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, rain, sasb, shri, shrine board, snowfall, sonamarg