Amarnath Yatra suspended due to bad weatherJune 20th, 2008 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 20 (ANI): The annual pilgrimage to the holy cave shrine of Amarnath, which commenced on Wednesday, has been suspended due to bad weather.
According to official sources, pilgrims were not allowed to proceed from the Jammu-base camp due to heavy rains near the cave shrine and along the route. On Thursday, third batch of 3,352 pilgrims left for the shrine from Jammu.
With this batch, a total of 8251pilgrims have left for the shrine. The first batch left June 17.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the Amarnath yatra to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
As many as 2,13,007 pilgrims have been registered for the yatra till Thursday.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- 45,000 Amarnath pilgrims treated at medical camps - Jul 30, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, bad weather, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, heavy rains, holy cave, kilometres, pilgrimage, pilgrims, security forces, security setup, trek