Amarnath Yatra resumesJune 28th, 2008 - 4:38 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 28 (ANI): The Amarnath Yatra resumed today a day after it was suspended in the wake of continued strike in Kashmir Valley to resolve the issue over the transfer of forest land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
Authorities today allowed a fresh batch of 4,105 pilgrims to leave in a convoy of 126 vehicles for the Amarnath cave shrine from the Bhagwati Nagar base camp in Jammu.
According to official sources, the devotees, including 1034 women and 193 children, left at around 6:15 a.m.
Meanwhile, the Jammu-Srinagar national highway was blocked at two places due to a landslide in the Ramban sector.
With today’s batch, as many as 27,062 pilgrims have left Jammu for the shrine.
The yatra has been suspended thrice for different reasons since June 17.
The pilgrimage ends on August 16.
Security forces have been on a high alert along the entire pilgrimage route to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, armed police, army deployments, bhagwati, crpf, devotees, different reasons, feet above sea level, forest land, jammu, kashmir, landslide, pilgrimage route, pilgrims, sasb, security forces, security setup, shri, shrine board, yatra