Amarnath yatra resumes from JammuJune 19th, 2009 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 19 (ANI): Fresh batch of pilgrims left for Amarnath cave shrine on Friday, three days after the yatra remained suspended due to inclement weather.
Today’s batch comprising 1,139 pilgrims, including 619 women and 102 children, left in a fleet of 54 vehicles from the base camp at Bhagwati Nagar in Jammu around 5 a.m.
According to sources, the cavalcade of vehicles was escorted by security personnel. They had crossed Batote and were expected to reach Baltal by evening.
Currently, the authorities were allowed to visit the shrine through Baltal route, as the other route from Pahalgam has not yet been fully cleared of snow.
Since the yatra started on June 15, only one batch of 900 devotees has left from the base camp at Jammu.
The Jammu and Kashmir Government and the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has set up three base camps at Bhagwati Nagar in Jammu, Nunwan in Pahalgam and Baltal for providing food and lodging facilities to pilgrims.
Located in Jammu and Kashmir, the Amarnath caves shrine is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Last year, over 450,000 pilgrims visited the cave. The two month long pilgrimage will conclude on August 5. (ANI)
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes after three days from Jammu - Jul 25, 2010
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Fresh batch of 2083 pilgrims leave for Amarnath - Jul 19, 2010
- Amarnath yatra suspended for third consecutive day - Jun 18, 2009
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Fresh batch of 1,395 Amarnath pilgrims leaves Jammu for holy shrine - Jun 21, 2009
Tags: authorities, base camps, cavalcade, caves, devotees, fleet, inclement weather, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, lodging facilities, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, sasb, security personnel, shri, shrine board, weather today, yatra