Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weatherJuly 4th, 2010 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 4 (IANS) The Amarnath Yatra was Sunday interrupted as the passage of pilgrims at various safe shelters along the north and south Kashmir treks to the cave shrine was stopped due to inclement weather.
“We allowed 6,570 yatris to proceed towards the holy cave from the Baltal base camp in the morning today (Sunday). But as the weather deteriorated at the base camp and along the 14-km trek to the cave, we stopped any devotee from proceeding from Baltal,” said Imtiyaz Hussain, district police chief of north Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.
“Yatris already on the trek have also been stopped at safe shelters at Railpathri, Brarimarg and Sangam,” he added.
Tasfeen Ali, camp officer at the Nunwan (Pahalgam) base camp, told IANS: “We allowed 2,991 yatris to proceed towards Chandanwari - the first stopover on the 34-km-long Pahalgam-Amarnath cave shrine route this (Sunday) morning.”
“Pilgrims along the trek have now been stopped at various safe shelters till the weather improves,” he added.
The pilgrimage to the Amarnath cave shrine that houses a natural ice stalagmite worshipped as an icon of the Hindu god Shiva began July 1. It will end Aug 25.
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 22, 2010
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra - Jul 01, 2010
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Do's and don'ts issued for Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 27, 2010
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, bad weather, devotee, district police, hindu god shiva, holy cave, inclement weather, july 4, kashmir, natural ice, north kashmir, pilgrimage, pilgrims, police chief, south kashmir, stopover, sunday morning, trek to the cave, worshipped