Amarnath Yatra commences through Baltal routeJune 15th, 2009 - 12:53 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 15 (ANI): The first batch of pilgrims for this year’s Sri Amarnath Yatra took off through Baltal route on Monday.
The pilgrimage was flagged off Monday morning at the Bhagwati Nagar base camp in Jammu by Nawang Rigzin Jora, Jammu and Kashmir Minister for Tourism and Culture.
This batch along with about 2,500 pilgrims shall proceed for the holy cave shrine from Baltal base camp on Tuesday morning.
Located in Jammu and Kashmir, the Amarnath caves are one of the most famous shrines in Hinduism and dedicated to the Lord Shiva.
The main shrine is claimed to be over 5,000 years old and forms an important part of ancient Hindu mythology.
Inside the main Amarnath cave lies an ice stalagmite, worshipped by devotees as the Shiva Lingam (the phallic symbol of Shiva), which waxes during May to August and gradually wanes thereafter.
This Lingam is said to develop and shrink with the phases of the moon, reaching its height during the summer festival.
According to Hindu mythology, this is the cave where Shiva explained the secret of life and eternity to his divine consort Parvati.
There are two other ice formations representing Parvati and Shiva’s son, Ganesha.
The cave is situated at an altitude of 3,888 m (12,760 ft), about 141 km (88 mi) from Srinagar, the capital of Jammu and Kashmir. (ANI)
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- First batch of Amarnath pilgrims leave Jammu - Jun 30, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, ancient hindu, bhagwati, consort parvati, devotees, hindu mythology, hinduism, holy cave, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lord shiva, phallic symbol, phases of the moon, pilgrimage, pilgrims, shiva lingam, shrines, tuesday morning, worshipped