Amarnath Yatra begins amid tight securityJune 17th, 2008 - 10:59 am ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 17 (ANI): The first batch of 2500 Amarnath pilgrims began their pilgrimage to the holy shrine early this morning amidst tight security.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the Amarnath yatra to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The batch left from the Jammu base camp in the shadow of a three-tier security that will see deployment of over 6000 CRPF men.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
The CRPF has deployed 50 companies comprising 6250 men and officers while the Army has set up 97 area domination posts in and around the shrine in Lidder valley of south Kashmir Himalayas, besides Pahalgam and along the highway in Anantnag, Ramban and Udhampur districts.
Base camps have also been established at Nunwan near Pahalgam and Chandanwari.
Over 150,000 pilgrims registered so far across different centres in the country for the pilgrimage.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-km route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Amarnath Yatra ends in J-K - Aug 24, 2010
- Fresh batch of 82,000 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 07, 2010
- Fresh batch of pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 10, 2010
- Another batch of 2,166 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 08, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra resumes amidst tension in Kashmir Valley - Jul 01, 2010
- Fresh batch of 3,165 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 04, 2010
- Amaranth Yatra commences under tight security - Jun 30, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra suspended temporarily at Udhampur - Jun 30, 2010
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- 'Amarnath pilgrimage will be on schedule' - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath pilgrims, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, base camps, crpf, devotees, feet above sea level, himalayas, holy shrine, pahalgam, pilgrimage, ramban, security forces, security security, security setup, south kashmir, tight security, udhampur