Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in JammuJune 3rd, 2012 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 3 (IANS) Nearly 300 Hindu activists were detained here Sunday when they attempted to begin the Amarnath pilgrimage in defiance of the June 25 date fixed by the organisers.
The Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has said that it will organise the pilgrimage from June 25 to Aug 2 - a total of 39 days. But Hindu groups want the pilgrimage to last 60 days starting June 3.
The activists were detained for violating a prohibitory order banning assembly of five or more people (Section 144 of CRPC) in Jammu, a police official told reporters.
Led by the Jammu unit chief of Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Rama Kant Dubey, activists tried to breach the police cordon to proceed towards the Amarnath cave shrine in South Kashmir.
Criticising the police action, Dubey said, “The state government is denying us our religious rights.”
A spokesperson of SASB informed that the route to the shrine was buried under deep snow. “The government would not risk lives of pilgrims by allowing them to proceed under hostile weather conditions,” he said.
He added that Governor N.N. Vohra, who heads SASB, conducted an aerial survey of the area Friday and found that the mouth of the cave shrine was blocked by heavy snow.
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Hindu groups agree to begin Amarnath yatra June 29 (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Amarnath yatra dates decided on religious calendar, says shrine board (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- No delay in June 25 start of Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: aerial survey, amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, crpc, deep snow, dubey, heavy snow, hindu activists, hindu groups, police action, police cordon, police official, religious rights, sasb, shrine board, south kashmir, unit chief, vishwa hindu parishad, vohra, weather conditions