Amarnath shrine board seeks preservation tips from environmentalistsFebruary 24th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 24 (IANS) The Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has invited a team of environmentalists to suggest measures to protect the shrine in southern Kashmir and the area around it, officials said Tuesday.
Environmentalists associated with Himalayan ecology have been requested by a panel constituted by the shrine board to make a detailed study of the environmental aspects and accordingly suggest ways to protect the area’s ecology. The panel is headed by leading environmentalist Sunita Narain.
Governor N.N. Vohra, who is also SASB chairman, is keen on preserving the ecology of the area in south Kashmir where the shrine is located and has sought the cooperation of the state government in this regard, shrine board officials said.
The Amarnath shrine is devoted to Lord Shiva and is located at a height of 13,500 feet above sea level.
An SASB official told IANS that the board is looking for ways and means to protect the the environment as the glaciers in the area are crucial for water in the Valley.
One of the steps SASB may take is to ban the use of polythene bags and plastic bottles by pilgrims visiting the shrine, officials said.
Last year 500,000 pilgrims had visited the cave shrine, located vearly 150 km from the summer capital of Srinagar.
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrims can start registering May 10 - May 03, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: amarnath shrine, board officials, environmentalist, environmentalists, feet above sea level, glaciers, himalayan ecology, lord shiva, narain, pilgrims, plastic bottles, polythene bags, preservation tips, sasb, shri, shrine board, south kashmir, southern kashmir, vohra, ways and means