Amarnath Samiti warns of agitation if pilgrimage delayedJune 11th, 2009 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 11 (IANS) The Shri Amarnath Yatra Sangarsh Samiti (SAYSS), a conglomerate of over two dozen Hindu groups, Thursday warned of an agitation if the pilgrimage to the Himalayan cave temple in the Kashmir Valley was further delayed.
The government should be ready to face the “wrath of the people” if the pilgrimmage to the Hindu shrine was delayed beyond June 15, said SAYSS, which last year spearheaded the Amarnath land agitation in Jammu.
The Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), which manages the annual pilgrimage to the Hindu shrine, has been saying the mountain tracks to the Himalayan cave shrine devoted to Hindu god Shiva are covered with heavy snow.
Though the government has not announced a further delay, a cloud of uncertainty hangs over the June 15 start of the pilgrimage due to heavy snowfall recently.
Both the tracks to the shrine - a traditional route involving a 46 km trek from the tourist resort of Pahalgam and a shorter and steep route via Baltal - are covered with heavy snow, said an SASB official.
This summer the ‘yatra’, or the pilgrimage, was first scheduled to start June 7, and then it was postponed to June 15 owing to snow on the tracks to the temple located at an altitude of 13,500 feet. The shrine, which houses the ice stalagmite, an icon of Hindu lord Shiva, attracts nearly 400,000 pilgrims every year.
SAYSS convenor Suchet Singh said the delay was hurting the religious sentiments of the devotees.
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: agitation, amarnath yatra, cave temple, convenor, devotees, heavy snow, himalayan cave, hindu god shiva, hindu groups, hindu shrine, kashmir valley, lord shiva, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrimmage, religious sentiments, sasb, shrine board, steep route, tourist resort