Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrineJuly 9th, 2011 - 12:09 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 9 (IANS) The Amarnath pilgrimage resumed Saturday after remaining suspended for a day due to bad weather, an official said. Over 26,000 pilgrims were allowed to move to the cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir.
“The pilgrims were allowed to proceed towards the cave shrine from Baltal base camp and the Pahalgam base camp today (Saturday),” the official said.
While 16,930 pilgrims moved from Baltal base camp of north Kashmir, 9,150 pilgrims moved from Pahalgam base camp of south Kashmir.
“Over 100 vehicles carrying 3,303 pilgrims left winter capital Jammu this morning for the Kashmir Valley. Also, 1,600 pilgrims were also allowed to move to Baltal from the Manigam transit camp,” he said.
Giving details of the pilgrims who were camped at different safe locations on the south Kashmir route because of bad weather Friday, the officer said: “Around 9,000 pilgrims were camped at Pahalgam base, 360 pilgrims at Chandanwari, 12,789 at Sheshnag, 6,870 at Panchtarni and 3,915 at the holy cave shrine.”
So far, 208,510 people have performed the pilgrimage which started here June 29 and ends Aug 13, coinciding with the Raksha Bandhan festival.
According to the official, 36 pilgrims have so far died due to natural causes. The cave shrine houses an ice stalagmite formation that is believed to be a symbol of lord Shiva.
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Heavy rains halt Amarnath pilgrimage - Jul 08, 2011
- Rains cause temporary suspension of Amarnath yatra - Jul 20, 2010
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: bad weather, holy cave, jammu and kashmir, june 29, kashmir, kashmir valley, lord shiva, north kashmir, pilgrimage, pilgrims, raksha bandhan, sheshnag, south kashmir, srinagar, transit camp, winter capital