Amarnath board gets more time to submit reportAugust 13th, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday called for “constructive steps” to improve medical and other facilities for pilgrims going for the annual Amarnath pilgrimage in Jammu and Kashmir.
An apex court bench of Justice B.S. Chauhan and Justice Swatanter Kumar made the appeal to the Special High Powered Committee, granting it three more weeks to complete its report.
The committee headed by the Jammu and Kashmir governor has 12 members. The judges said they would not entertain any further request for another extension of the deadline.
The court July 20 set up the committee to study the lack of public amenities and medical facilities during the annual pilgrimage that were blamed for a large number of deaths this year.
The court said it was important to make the next pilgrimage less hazardous, beneficial and appropriately managed so that basic facilities were made available to the pilgrims.
The court said health facilities should be provided all through the 14 km pilgrim route. The matter has been listed for Sep 10.
- Improve medical aid for Amarnath pilgrims: Apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Provide more medical aid to Amarnath pilgrims, centre told - Jul 23, 2012
- SC sets up panel to study Amarnath deaths (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- SC sets up panel to study Amarnath deaths (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- SC notice to centre on facilities for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 16, 2012
- Rising death toll of Amarnath pilgrims raise health concerns - Jul 25, 2012
- SC sets up panel to study Amarnath deaths - Jul 20, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of Haj quota - May 08, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration from May 7 - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, constructive steps, court bench, deaths, health facilities, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, medical facilities, New Delhi, pilgrim route, pilgrimage, pilgrims, public amenities, supreme court