Amar Singh calls for division of UP to boost developmentNovember 4th, 2010 - 10:20 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 4 (ANI): Former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh on Thursday called for the division of Uttar Pradesh to promote speedy development in its economically backward regions.
“I want that Uttar Pradesh should be divided in Bundelkhand and Poorvanchal, and Paschimanchal, and this demand is not new; from different parts of this country this demand is coming,” said Amar Singh, while addressing the media persons here today.
“For instance, in Andhra, the demand for Telangana has come, in Bengal the demand for Gorkhaland is there, and wherever the division took place, the progress and development has come. Like Uttaranchal has developed, Chhattisgarh has developed,” he added, while highlighting the difficulties in implementing development policies in large States.
Amar Singh further announced that he would undertake a ‘padyatra’ in November from Uttar Pradesh’s Allahabad town to Gorakhpur to mobilise masses for the cause.
Reacting to the decision of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav to revoke the expulsion of senior leader Mohammad Azam Khan, who was expelled from the party after Lok Sabha polls last year, Amar Singh asserted he had moved on from the past.
“This is the internal party matter of the party you are discussing. It was my past and I don’t regret my past. I release my project and I strive for a good future. I don’t believe in holding grudges,” said Amar Singh.
“So, I am not expecting any calls and even if anyone calls I will behave like a deaf and dumb person as if I have not listened,” he added.
The trouble between Mulayam Singh Yadav and Amar Singh began last year. Amar Singh was upset that the other party leaders had questioned the candidature of actor Jaya Prada for the Rampur seat in the last Lok Sabha elections, and that he did not get the support of Yadav that time.
The rift further grew, when Mulayam’s daughter-in-law, Dimple, lost the by-election to the Firozabad seat at the hands of Congress candidate actor Raj Babbar. The seat was earlier won by Mulayam’s son Akhilesh, but he was selected to represent Kannauj seat.
Amar Singh had then blamed the over-confidence of Mulayam Singh’s family for the loss.
On the other hand, Mulayam’s son Akhilesh Yadav had put the blame on Amar Singh for the loss. (ANI)
- Dimple Yadav to contest from Kannauj? - Mar 15, 2012
- I won't be UP chief minister: Akhilesh - Mar 06, 2012
- Jairam hopes Akhilesh brings in good governance to UP - Mar 10, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav: From football, movies to crown of UP politics (Profile) - Mar 10, 2012
- Somnath happy with Akhilesh becoming chief minister - Mar 10, 2012
- Akhilesh becomes UP chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Mohan Singh replaces Amar Singh in Samajwadi top brass - Jan 27, 2010
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Presidential polls dead issue, Mamata my younger sister: Mulayam - Sep 13, 2012
- Mulayam day-dreaming of becoming PM: Beni Prasad - Aug 20, 2012
- Mulayam keeps Congress guessing on presidential race (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Mulayam Singh will be UP chief minister: Akhilesh (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- From stars to Tihar, Amar Singh's fall from grace - Sep 06, 2011
- Akhilesh asks party's youth to work for Lok Sabha win - Aug 07, 2012
- Akhilesh set to take over, promises a new UP (Roundup) - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: allahabad, amar singh, azam khan, bundelkhand, chhattisgarh, development policies, dumb person, holding grudges, jaya prada, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, media persons, mulayam singh yadav, party chief, party leader, party leaders, Samajwadi Party, speedy development, telangana, uttaranchal