Alleged custodial killing sparks-off violent protests in SrinagarMay 19th, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, May 19 (ANI): The alleged killing of a civilian in the police custody triggered a massive protest here on Tuesday.
According to the local media reports, Manzoor Ahmad Beg, 35, allegedly died during an interrogation by the Special Operations Group on Monday.
Shouting anti-police slogans, scores of locals took to the streets. Soon, their protests turned violent when an angry mob started stone pelting on the police forces.
To disperse the frenzied mobs, police charged batons and fired tear gas shells.
Meanwhile, the government has ordered a probe into the incident. (ANI)
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- 15 wounded in Kashmir protests over militants' death sentences (Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- Protest over Yaseen Malik's arrest turns violent in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 29, 2011
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Kashmir police file murder case in stone pelting death (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Youth dies in Srinagar violence - Jan 31, 2010
- Two injured in police firing during Kashmir protests - Feb 21, 2010
- Riots in Pakistan after double murder-accused Davis 'buys' freedom - Mar 17, 2011
- 8 killed in Kashmir, 6 in police firing, as Omar seeks help - Aug 03, 2010
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Geelani arrested, dozens injured in Valley clashes (Night Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Another death in police firing in Kashmir - Jul 19, 2010
- Violent clashes in Indian-administered Kashmir after youth dies in custody - Aug 01, 2011
- 13 people injured in police-protester clashes in Kashmir - May 10, 2010