Akshardham case: Gujarat High Court upholds death sentenceJune 1st, 2010 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Gandhinagar, June 1 (ANI): The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday upheld the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) court’s verdict awarding death sentence to three accused in the 2002 Akashardham terror attack.
A two-member division bench of Justices RM Doshit and KM Thakar upheld the sentence by a POTA court.
The POTA court had convicted six persons for providing logistic support to the two terrorists - Murtuza Hafiz Yasin and Ashraf Ali Mohammed Farooq - who stormed into the temple premises.
Both attackers alleged members of Lashkar-e-Toiba - were killed in the subsequent operation by the security forces.
Three of the six convicts - Shan Miya alias Chand Khan, Adam Ajmeri and Mufti Abdul Qayyum Mansuri were awarded death sentence.
Another convict, Mohammed Salim Shaikh, was awarded life sentence. Abdul Miyan Qadri and Altaf Hussain got ten years and five years imprisonment each.
The Akshardham case is the first in India in which the accused were convicted under POTA. (ANI)
- Akshardham temple attack: Death for three confirmed - Jun 01, 2010
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case - Feb 10, 2012
- Gujarat court acquits nine of waging war charges - Aug 27, 2010
- Six terrorists get life term for plot to kidnap Sachin, Sourav (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- 2003 Mumbai blasts: Ruling on three death penalties put off (Lead) - Dec 12, 2011
- Bombay HC accepts Ansari's petition challenging POTA court verdict - Aug 28, 2009
- Plot to kidnap Sachin: Six terrorists get life term (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- BJP apprehensive on execution of Kasab's sentence - Feb 21, 2011
- 2003 Mumbai twin blasts verdict Dec 12 - Nov 12, 2011
- Kasab, aides planned to return to Karachi, SC told - Feb 16, 2012
- Kasab challenges death penalty in Supreme Court - Jul 29, 2011
- Bail plea of Akshardham terror attack accused admitted - Dec 20, 2010
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: ali mohammed, altaf hussain, ashraf ali, death sentence, division bench, farooq, gujarat high court, lashkar e toiba, logistic support, mansuri, miya, miyan, pota, prevention of terrorism, qayyum, temple premises, terror attack, terrorism act, thakar, yasin