Ajay Katara arrested over kidnapping chargesOctober 3rd, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
Ghaziabad (UP), Oct 3 (ANI): Ajay Katara, a key witness in the much publicized Nitish Katara murder case, was arrested by the Ghaziabad Police late on Thursday night on kidnapping charges.
Ajay is accused of trying to kidnap a distant relative of Uttar Pradesh politician DP Yadav, whose son Vikas Yadav has been awarded life sentence in connection with the Nitish Katara murder case.
Vikas’’s cousin Vishal Yadav has also been sentenced to life in the case. Vikas and Vishal had allegedly abducted Katara, the son of an IAS officer, from a marriage party in Ghaziabad on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002. The victim’’s body was later recovered from a village in Uttar Pradesh’’s Bulandshahr District.
According to the prosecution, Katara, a business executive, was killed by the two accused as they did not approve of their sister Bharti Yadav’’s growing proximity with him.
Earlier, the prosecution had produced evidence of Ajay Katara having seen the accused taking Nitish to their car on the fateful night near Hapur Chungi in Ghaziabad.
The accused contended that the chain of events in the case remained incomplete as none of the prosecution witnesses had either supported the abduction or identified the main accused.
Ajay Katara’’s testimony was also challenged on the premise that the police recorded his statement over 20 days after the crime. (ANI)
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: abducted, abduction, business executive, cousin, fateful night, key witness, kidnapping charges, life sentence, marriage, marriage party, nitish katara murder, nitish katara murder case, politician, premise, prosecution witnesses, proximity, testimony, thursday night, vikas yadav, vishal