Air services to Kargil set to take offJuly 25th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 25 (IANS) The civil aviation ministry has approved a proposal for operating flights between Srinagar and Kargil in Jammu and Kashmir — a move that will help the residents of the mountain-locked town connect to rest of the world, an official said Monday.
Sources in the civil aviation ministry said the ministry and Air India officials met the state government representatives last week, and decided to start the service at the earliest.
Air India will operate small aircraft on the route, especially during the winter months when the close of Zojilla pass on the Srinagar-Leh highway leaves the entire Ladakh division cut off from rest of the world for almost six months.
Kargil, in Ladakh division, was in the news in the summer of 1999 when Pakistani troops entered into the Indian side and occupied the bunkers overlooking the strategic 434-km long Srinagar-Leh highway. The Indian troops took 50 days to evict the Pakistanis from the Himalayan heights.
While there are air services between Srinagar-Leh, Jammu-Leh and Delhi-Leh, there are no services for the people of Kargil.
The residents of Kargil have been persistently demanding start of air service to the town.
- Srinagar-Leh highway reopened after six months - May 02, 2011
- IAF airlifts 313 stranded passengers between Leh and Srinagar - Feb 07, 2012
- Chidambaram reviews security in Kashmir - May 23, 2012
- J-K Govt. abolishes toll tax on Srinagar Highway to boost tourism - May 02, 2011
- Kargil residents demand construction of Zojila Pass tunnel - Jul 17, 2010
- 11 killed, 25 injured in Kashmir road accident - Nov 05, 2011
- Special IAF flights for people stranded in Kargil - Feb 06, 2012
- Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir - Mar 26, 2012
- Kargil may soon get country's highest tunnel - Apr 19, 2010
- Kashmir's suffering is my suffering too: Rahul Gandhi - Sep 26, 2011
- Kashmir gets first snowfall of 2010, heavy rains lash valley - Oct 22, 2010
- 400 trapped civilians rescued in J&K; - Jun 09, 2012
- Srinagar-Leh highway to open tomorrow - May 01, 2011
- Srinagar-Leh highway closed after snowfall - May 28, 2010
- Srinagar-Leh highway opens after five-month closure - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: air india, bunkers, civil aviation ministry, flights, government representatives, indian troops, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, ladakh, pakistani troops, pakistanis, proposal, six months, small aircraft, srinagar, state government