Air India employees call off strike, 15 striking employees sackedMay 26th, 2010 - 9:16 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 26 (ANI): The stalemate over Air India employees’ strike came to an end following an understanding reached here between the AI management and and the strikers on Wednesday evening.
Air Corporation Employees Union (ACEU) Regional Secretary Vivek Rao said that the union was calling off the strike as the “management had come to an understanding of our demands”.
“We are calling off our strike. Court has given us a direction and we are following that. After meeting the Chief Labour Commissioner we have decided to call off strike,” said Rao, a private channel reported.
The two-day strike badly affected the airlines in the country while causing inconvenience to thousands of passengers for two days.
However, Air India has sacked 15 striking employees, said a privat channel report.
Meanwhile, all grounded flights, due to the strke, will take off soon.
At least 89 flights had been affected by the strike.
The proposed May 31 strike has also been stayed.
Earlier, the National Aviation Company of India Limited had approached High Court against the two-day strike by Air India employees.
Delhi High Court had also stayed the strike.
The union called off the strike after Civil Aviation Ministry decided to act tough and take action against striking employees. Air India management was given a clear mandate by the Prime Minister’s Office to take action against striking employees following which the airline sacked 15 employees.
Over 20,000 Air India crewmembers and maintenance engineers, had gone on a flash strike protesting against an order issued by the AI management following the Saturday’s plane crash incident at Mangalore.
The striking employees were upset over the management’s gag order prohibiting some of its leaders to speak out in public on the Mangalore crash.
The order that was issued after the air crash at Mangalore on Saturday (May 22), non-payment of salaries was another reason for the staff to go on strike. (ANI)
- Air India seals major trade union offices in Mumbai - May 27, 2010
- Air India cracks whip on unions, tries to normalise flights (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Indiscipline in Air India will not be tolerated: Praful Patel - May 29, 2010
- Air India derecognises two unions (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Air India cancels 165 flights as pilots continue strike - May 02, 2011
- Day after strike, Air India seeks to restore normalcy - May 27, 2010
- Air India stir off after Delhi High Court's gag order (Roundup) - May 26, 2010
- Air India resumes flight operations across India - May 28, 2010
- Air India staffers launch flash strike in Mumbai - May 25, 2010
- Holidaymakers hit as Air India, Kingfisher flights cancelled - May 11, 2012
- Mumbai High court declines to stay Air India staff strike - May 26, 2010
- Striking pilots ground Air India fliers for second day - Apr 28, 2011
- Air India cracks whip on unions as some flights resume (Afternoon Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Air India struggles as many flights cancelled - May 27, 2010
- Air India moves Supreme Court as pilots strike rocks parliament (Roundup) - May 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,