Agra’s Sikhs pray to save Sarabjit Singh from Pak gallowsMarch 19th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by admin
Agra, Mar.19 (ANI): The Sikh community in Agra today sought the release of Sarabjit Singh from Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat Jail, saying that the death row Indian detenu was innocent, and that his case was clearly one of mistaken identity.
Participating in a prayer meeting organised by Gurudwara Bhai Than here, the Sikhs appealed to the Indian Government to get in touch with authorities in Pakistan and prevent the April 1 hanging of Sarabjit Singh.
The appeal came even as the Pakistan Government announced that Sarabjit’s hanging has been postponed by a month.
“We want to warn the Pakistan Government that if they do not pay any heed to our request, then the reverberations of the death sentence would be felt across Punjab,” said Devender Singh Khalsa, a Sikh.
The Sikh community also appealed to the Pakistan Government to allow Sarabjit’s relatives to meet him.
“We want that he (Sarabjit Singh) be allowed to meet his mother and his sister; he should be released and not punished for a crime he has not committed. I appeal to Musharraf and to Soniaji that he should be pardoned and released,” said Joginder Kaur.
The Indian Government has urged the Pakistan Government to grant Sarabjit clemency on humanitarian grounds. External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee informed Parliament on Wednesday that all efforts are being made to secure Sarabjit’s release. (ANI)
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Soni appeals for Sarabjit's release - Jun 27, 2012
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
- Government should explain Sarabjit confusion: BJP - Jun 27, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: agra, bhai, clemency, death sentence, devender, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, gallows, humanitarian grounds, indian government, joginder, kot lakhpat, lahore, mistaken identity, pakistan government, pranab mukherjee, prayer meeting, reverberations, sikh community, sikhs