Agra gears up for ”Taj Mahotsava”February 17th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
Agra, Feb 17 (ANI): Preparations are on in full swing for the “Taj Mahotsav”, the ten-day annual festival at Shilpgram near the Taj Mahal.
Bedecked elephants and camels, drum beaters, folk artists and master craftsmen together would recreate the glorious past of the Mughal era ambiance during the carnival that kick starts every year on February 18.
The Taj Mahotsav will display the country’’s extensive arts, crafts and culture besides folk music, and classical dance performances as well as elephant and camel rides, games and a food festival, all forming part of the festivities.
“Our art, culture, music, dance and other such heritage forms from across India are showcased during this festival. Manipur’’s traditional dance, classical music like Ghazals and Sufi songs would also be there,” said Shravan Kumar Sharma, Commissioner, Agra.
Organised by the state tourism department every year to promote tourism in and around Agra, the festival is truly India at her best with a glimpse of her rich heritage and extraordinary legacies.
“Agra has been hosting the festival for years together now. The festival finds a mention in both national and international festivals. Tour operators promote this event and tourists like to come here to take part in this festival year after year,” said Ashok Goyal, a district administrator.
This year, over 1500 artists would be performing during the festival. There would be around 217 performances.
State authorities said the Taj festival has been designed to be a complete tourism event in itself.
Traditional folk musicians, performing at the gateway to the “Shilpgram”, welcome the visitors.
The majestic Taj Mahal forms the backdrop of the festival. (ANI)
- Ten-day Taj Mahotsav to begin Friday - Feb 17, 2011
- Taj Festival ends with Bollywood dance performances - Mar 01, 2010
- A mini-marathon held to salute Taj Mahal''s beauty - Feb 19, 2009
- Taj Mahotsav to focus on Ghalib, Mir - Jan 04, 2011
- Agra's unique Bhagat singing finds new patrons - Mar 28, 2012
- Taj festival a letdown, feels tourism industry - Feb 28, 2011
- Wah Taj! Unique project on monument to be launched soon - Mar 21, 2012
- Singer Kailash Kher enthrals Taj Mahotsav 2009 - Feb 20, 2009
- Indian dances in New York dance festival - Jul 20, 2012
- 2-day fest of ancient healing arts in Delhi May 16 - May 14, 2012
- Be in Bangalore for daylong dance fiesta (April 29 is World Dance Day) - Apr 26, 2012
- Obamas' India experience to be showcased at Maximum India fest - Nov 15, 2010
- Taj city decked up for warm welcome to CWG guests - Oct 04, 2010
- Gender barrier broken in Agra musical tradition - Aug 01, 2011
- Music, dance festival ends in Pakistan - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,