Agitated Sikhs block Jammu- Pathankot highwayMay 3rd, 2009 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
By: Tahir Nadeem Khan
Jammu, May 3 (ANI): Activists of various Sikh organizations blocked the Jammu - Pathankot National Highway here today and burnt images of the Taliban and neighbouring Pakistan to express their anguish over the injustice meted towards Sikhs in Pakistan’s North West Front Province (NWFP).
Holding placards, the protestors shouted slogans against the Taliban and the Pakistan Government. They alleged that Sikhs were being subjected to acts of barbarism in the NWFP.
The protestors also burnt tyres.
The highway is the only road link that connects the state with the rest of the country. Sikh activists called on the UPA Government to ensure the security and safety of monitories living in Pakistan. While condemning the Taliban, Colonel Mohinder Singh, a protestor, alleged that Pakistan has failed to protect the life and property of Sikhs out there. He further accused Pakistan of giving rise to the Taliban. We have already conveyed our concern to the authorities in India, he said. Another protestor, Harminder Pal Singh Sodhi, said the Sikh community is a peace loving community and always respects all communities and religions. However, he warned that if anyone tries to hurt their sentiments, they should expect a befitting reply. (ANI)
- Agitated Sikhs burn effigy of Taliban in Amritsar - May 01, 2009
- Jammu Sikhs protest beheading of Pakistani Sikhs - Feb 23, 2010
- Kashmir assembly condemns Pakistani Sikh's beheading (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Sikhs protest beheading of Sikhs in Pakistan - Feb 23, 2010
- VHP, Bajrang Dal call for shutdown in Jammu - May 08, 2009
- Sikhs in Ambala protest atrocities on community in Pakistan - May 06, 2009
- Protest in Jammu demanding fair treatment for Pakistani Sikhs - May 08, 2009
- India sends message of love to Pakistan on St. Valentine's Day - Feb 14, 2011
- Protests in Kashmir over atrocities against Sikhs in Pakistan - May 15, 2009
- Kashmiri Sikhs give demands charter to Chidambaram - Apr 12, 2012
- BJP women activists clash with Jammu police - Nov 27, 2010
- Markets shut, trains stopped in Agra - May 31, 2012
- Demand for recounting in Bishna in Jammu region - Jan 01, 2009
- Kashmiri Sikhs protest against Rajoana's hanging - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: anguish, barbarism, burnt images, injustice, loving community, mohinder singh, nadeem khan, neighbouring, pakistan government, protestor, protestors, security and safety, sentiments, sikh community, sikh organizations, sikhs in pakistan, slogans, sodhi, tahir, taliban