Agitated mob ransacks liquor outlets near KolkataJanuary 27th, 2009 - 11:13 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Jan. 27 (ANI): Agitated over the death of seven people due to consumption of spurious liquor, local residents in South 24 Paragna district of West Bengal demolished several illegal liquor shops on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a large police contingent reached the spot to pacify the mob.
At least seven persons died and nearly 16 fell sick after consuming hooch (local liquer) in South 24 Paragna District near Kolkata. Most of the victims were daily wage earners and labourers.
Family members of the victims along with the local residents attacked the hooch joints and demolished them. The group set on fire a house of a hooch joint owner, who managed to flee.
This incident comes barely three weeks after a hooch tragedy in Kolkata claimed 28 lives.
Also in May 2008, at least 180 people had lost their lives due to the consumption of the illicit liquor. (ANI)
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011
- Calcutta HC stays compensation to hooch victims' families - Feb 07, 2012
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Hooch sellers want financial package from Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Three arrested in hooch tragedy case - Dec 25, 2011
- All pervasive corruption behind repeated hooch tragedies: Former cops - Dec 15, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders - Jan 16, 2012
- West Bengal: Killer liquor dens exist near police camp - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: consumption, contingent, family members, hooch tragedy, illegal liquor, illicit liquor, joints, liquer, liquor outlets, liquor shops, mob, seven persons, spurious liquor, wage earners, west bengal