AFSPA will be revoked one day: FarooqNovember 25th, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) The contentious Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) will be revoked “one day” from Jammu and Kashmir, former state chief minister and union minister Farooq Abdullah said here Friday.
“AFSPA will be revoked one day,” the union minister for new and renewable energy said when asked by an IANS correspondent whether the law that gives sweeping powers to the armed forces in fighting militants should be revoked from the state.
Asked what his views were on the matter, Farooq Abdullah, the National Conference chief, said: “The chief minister will decide.”
To a question whether his son, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah would take his advice, the senior Abdullah laughed and walked away.
Farooq Abdullah, who was thrice chief minister of the state, was visiting the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy stall at the India International Trade Fair here Friday.
Omar Abdullah has been persisting with his demand partial lifting of AFSPA from the state. He has visited the national capital to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P. Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and the army chief, General V.K. Singh, to discuss the matter.
At a cabinet meeting in Jammu Thursday, Omar Abdullah offered to amend the Ranbir Penal Code, which is special to the state, to bring it in line with the Criminal Procedure Code (Cr PC) to provide protective cover to the armed forces in counter-insurgency operations, sources said.
- Omar disagrees with army chief on special powers act - Jan 02, 2012
- Farooq backs 'boss' Omar on AFSPA - Nov 17, 2011
- Omar's olive branch to army on AFSPA - Nov 24, 2011
- Army is not master of Kashmir: Farooq Abdullah - Nov 27, 2011
- Kashmir's Unified Command can decide on AFSPA: Antony - Nov 11, 2011
- Azad backs Omar on AFSPA's partial removal - Nov 10, 2011
- Rights panel's view on AFSPA strengthens my case: Omar - Dec 05, 2011
- No decision on AFSPA yet, indicates PM - Nov 12, 2011
- Omar's troubles persist -- now over his remedy - Nov 28, 2011
- Can Abdullah emerge unscathed from AFSPA logjam? - Nov 16, 2011
- Omar for denotifying disturbed areas in Kashmir - Dec 02, 2011
- Omar briefs cabinet on Delhi talks on AFSPA - Nov 24, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah asks his brother to toe party line - Nov 04, 2011
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Kashmir cabinet to study AFSPA's continuance - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: afspa, army chief, cabinet meeting, chief general, chief minister, counter insurgency, defence minister, finance minister, home minister, india international, jammu, manmohan, manmohan singh, p chidambaram, penal code, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, state chief, union minister