Afghanistan and Hong Kong take a step closer to the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011October 11th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
Dar Es Salaam, Oct.11 (ANI): Afghanistan and Hong Kong sealed promotion from the Pepsi ICC World Cricket League Division 4 after securing comprehensive victories in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania on Friday.
Going into the final day of the group stage, three sides were in contention for promotion but Italy, knowing it needed victory over Afghanistan to finish in the top two of the table, was the team that had its dreams of playing in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 shattered when it lost by 93 runs.
Hong Kong defeated Jersey by 100 runs to seal second place in the group stages, while Fijis dramatic two-run win over Tanzania means that Jersey and Fiji will be relegated to Division 5 on net run-rate, as all three teams were tied on two points.
Now, if Afghanistan and Hong Kong finish in the top two of the six-team Division 3 tournament in Argentina in January, they will join 10 other sides at the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier, where four Associate or Affiliate Members will qualify for Asia in 2011.
Afghanistans Rais Ahmadzai, who was named man of the match after an excellent 68, was delighted with his sides promotion to Division 3 and said he was determined to win the final against Hong Kong tomorrow.
We are very happy. Its true that there was a little bit of tension amongst the guys last night, but the coach said we should go and play positive cricket, said Ahmadzai.
I was just concentrating on reading the wicket when I came into bat and then hitting the bad balls. The boys have done very well with the bowling, batting and fielding.
We will try our best to win the final weve already beaten Hong Kong in this tournament and we will try our best to do it again. (ANI)
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- India-Pakistan cricket bonhomie in the heart of East Africa - Mar 30, 2011
- Large explosions rock army ammo bunker in Tanzanian city - Feb 17, 2011
- Tanzania launches UAE-funded highway project - Jul 07, 2011
- ICC decision to abolish runner disappointing: Gambhir - Jul 07, 2011
- Large blasts rock army ammo bunker in Tanzanian city, casualties unknown - Feb 17, 2011
- ICC annual meet may be stormy over UDRS, World Cup format - Jun 24, 2011
- India taps IT power to woo African youth - May 28, 2011
- India pledges $191 mn for Tanzania, to jointly combat piracy - May 27, 2011
- Manmohan departs after landmark Africa trip (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Tanzania police arrest suspect over mass baby grave - Feb 02, 2011
- Tanzania offers India uranium deal - Mar 30, 2011
- Ireland beat Namibia to qualify for World T20 - Mar 24, 2012
- Afghanistan beat Hong Kong by eight wickets - Jan 19, 2010
- Karzai congratulates Afghan team on winning Asia T20 Cup - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: affiliate members, balls, bowling, contention, cricket world cup, cricket world cup 2011, fiji, group stage, group stages, icc cricket world, icc cricket world cup, icc cricket world cup 2011, little bit, match, oct 11, pepsi, wicket, world cricket league, world cup 2011, world cup qualifier