Afghan Defence Minister calls on AntonyApril 8th, 2008 - 10:24 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 8 (ANI): Defence Minister of Afghanistan Abdul Rahim Wardak on Tuesday called on his Indian counterpart A K Antony.
The two leaders discussed matters of mutual interest and defence cooperation.
“India has been our historical and traditional friend and we have had long cooperation. They have helped us in various sectors, including defence, as the Afghan National Army was the first to receive Indian help. We have common threats,” said Wardak on the sidelines of the meeting.
Antony reiterated India’s cooperation in the process of rebuilding Afghanistan.
“We are helping Afghanistan in their reconstruction and rehabilitation attempt. We will continue to support them in rehabilitation and infrastructure and we have very cordial defence relations with Afghanistan but we have no military involvement in Afghanistan, said Antony
Earlier, on his arrival at Defence headquarters the Afghan Minister was given an inter-services Guard of Honour.
The visiting dignitary has come to India at the invitation of Antony.
Wardak is accompanied by his spouse and a seven-member delegation. He will also be visiting defence establishments at Bangalore and Srinagar. (ANI)
- India promises to continue training Afghan security forces (Lead) (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Afghan defence minister to visit India from Wednesday - May 31, 2011
- India commits to capacity-building of Afghan armed forces (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- India to extend more training to Afghan armed forces - Jun 03, 2011
- China vows closer military ties with Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian PM in Kabul to discuss terror, aid with Karzai (Third Lead) - May 12, 2011
- India will stand by Afghanistan: PM - May 12, 2011
- Karzai castigates Pakistan for providing refuge to terrorists - Sep 16, 2010
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Afghanistan (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Reducing Afghan forces can lead to catastrophe: Minister - Feb 19, 2012
- Afghanistan, US sign deal on night raids - Apr 09, 2012
- 26/11 perpetrators should be brought to justice: British minister - Nov 22, 2010
- India cautions Karzai over Taliban deal, opposes external meddling (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: abdul rahim, antony, bangalore, defence cooperation, defence establishments, defence headquarters, defence minister, defence relations, dignitary, guard of honour, indian counterpart, inter services, member delegation, military involvement, mutual interest, national army, New Delhi, rebuilding afghanistan, sidelines, wardak