AFC chief Hammam may challenge Blatter for FIFA presidencyMarch 11th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar. 11 (ANI): Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Mohamed in Hammam has said he will decide within 10 days whether to challenge Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.
Bin Hammam’s bid to challenge Blatter is almost certain after France’s Michel Platini confirmed he would not run for the post.
“People have to try change. Change is good,” the Qatari told The Guardian.
He added: “Within 10 days I will formally declare whether I will stand or not.”
The vote for the presidency takes place at the FIFA Congress, which will be held in Zurich on May 31 and June 1.
Bin Hammam already enjoys an elevated status within FIFA, having served as a member of its 24-man executive committee for the past 15 years. He was also influential in bringing the 2022 World Cup to his native Qatar.
Now it is Bin Hammam’s intention to unseat Blatter, who has been FIFA president for the past 13 years. (ANI)
- Qatar's Mohamed bin Hammam challenges Blatter to FIFA TV debate - Mar 22, 2011
- AFC chief Hammam to challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 18, 2011
- Platini welcomes Mohamed bin Hammam's FIFA presidency challenge - Mar 23, 2011
- Bin Hammam writes to FIFA, claims unfair treatment - Jun 01, 2011
- Bin Hammam asks FIA Code and Ethics committee to investigate Blatter - May 27, 2011
- Suspended AFC president Bin Hammam to appeal against FIFA decision - May 30, 2011
- Zhang Jilong is interim AFC chief after bin Hammam's suspension - May 30, 2011
- AFC chief against Qatar hosting 2022 World Cup jointly with other Gulf nations - Jan 15, 2011
- Bin Hammam drags FIFA president Blatter to ethics committee (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Vowing to clear name, Bin Hammam withdraws from FIFA presidential race - May 29, 2011
- AFC provisionally suspends Bin Hammam - Jul 17, 2012
- FIFA's Bin Hammam ban annulled - Jul 19, 2012
- Platini wants other Gulf nations to joint Qatar in hosting 2022 WC - Jan 13, 2011
- Blatter facing challenge from Qatari rival to hold onto his position as FIFA chief - Jan 06, 2011
- Hammam turns to Arbitration Court after FIFA rejects appeal - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: 13 years, 2022 world cup, afc, asian football confederation, executive committee, fifa congress, fifa presidency, guardian, hammam, intention, london, michel platini, president mohamed, qatar, qatari, vote, zurich