Advisory board terms NSA against Varun Gandhi invalidMay 8th, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, May8 (ANI): The imposition of National Security Act on BJP leader Varun Gandhi by Mayawati Government has been termed invalid by the UP advisory board appointed by Allahabad High Court to go into the merits of the case.
The NSA would now be immediately revoked and Gandhi would be a free man as per the law.
The Supreme Court on May 2 had extended the interim bail of Varun Gandhi till May 14.
Varun Gandhi had submitted his representation before an advisory board in the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on April 28 against slapping of the NSA over his alleged hate speech in Pilibhit.
Senior judge Pradeep Kant, heads the three-member advisory board, which also includes two retired high court judges.
As the ultimate statutory authority on the NSA, the advisory board has the right to approve or revoke the government order invoking the act against Varun, BJP candidate from the Pilibhit Lok Sabha constituency.
The verdict of the advisory board is final and if it chooses to revoke the NSA, Gandhi would be set free with immediate effect.
Varun was charged for making highly inflammatory anti-Muslim utterances during his poll campaign in Pilibhit.
In his representation, Varun said the Uttar Pradesh Government had slapped NSA against him out of “political vendetta”. He claimed that he had not created any law and order problem during his surrender on March 28 in the Pilibhit court.
The state government had invoked NSA against him on March 29 and he was kept in Etah jail. (ANI)
- Supreme Court revokes NSA against Varun Gandhi - May 14, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh Government withdraws NSA against Varun - May 14, 2009
- UP govt. files petition challenging revocation of NSA on Varun Gandhi - May 12, 2009
- Varun Gandhi moves Supreme Court on National Security Act - May 13, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Varun Gandhi's plea on National Security Act - May 14, 2009
- Varun Gandhi appears before NSA board (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- Allahabad High Court to decide NSA charge on Varun Gandhi - Apr 28, 2009
- Notice to Varun on petition challenging his election - Jul 20, 2009
- Court recommends revocation of NSA against Varun Gandhi - May 08, 2009
- Court panel calls for revocation of NSA against Varun Gandhi (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Court panel recommends revocation of NSA against Varun (Roundup) - May 08, 2009
- Varun's NSA reprieve due to flawed investigation: judicial panel - May 12, 2009
- NSA lifted on Varun Gandhi on apex court orders (Fourth Lead) - May 15, 2009
- 'NSA revocation is a slap on Mayawati's government' - May 10, 2009
- Varun Gandhi shifted to Etah jail for security reasons - Apr 01, 2009
Tags: advisory board, allahabad high court, bjp candidate, free man, hate speech, high court judges, imposition, law and order, Lok Sabha, lucknow, national security act, nsa, political vendetta, poll campaign, sabha constituency, state government, statutory authority, uttar pradesh government, utterances, varun gandhi