Advani writes to Gilani, seeks clemency for SarabjitApril 18th, 2008 - 1:14 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 18 (ANI): Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L. K. Advani has written a letter to Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and sought clemency for Sarabjit Singh, the Indian on death row in Pakistan.
“I wrote it through government as it was not appropriate on my part to write a letter to him on a personal level. I was told that letters from the embassy are dispatched once a week. I had told the foreign secretary to inform me when the letter is delivered to him, so I have received confirmation of the delivery of the letter. I expect that justice is done to him,” Advani said on the sidelines of a book release ceremony.
Advani wrote the letter to Gillani on April 6 and followed it up with a telephone call on Thursday, seeking clemency for Sarabjit.
President Pervez Musharraf had earlier rejected his appeal for clemency.
Pakistan’s former Human Rights Minister Ansar Burney, on a recent visit to India, rekindled hopes of Sarabjit’s release, saying that Sarabjit could have been “a victim of mistaken identity”.
Burney, who had played a significant role in the release of another Indian Kashmir Singh, has urged the new Pakistan Government to consider converting Sarabjit’s death sentence into life imprisonment on humanitarian grounds as he had spent more time than a life sentence on death row in Pakistani jails.
Sarabjit has been on death row since the Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected his petition for mercy in March 2006. He has been accused of having played a major role in serial blasts across Pakistan, which claimed at least 14 lives in 1991. (ANI)
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Soni appeals for Sarabjit's release - Jun 27, 2012
- Ansar Burney to file fresh mercy petition for Sarabjit - Jun 24, 2009
- '18 Pakistani PoWs still awaiting release after 39 years' - Dec 16, 2010
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh may escape Pakistani gallows - Jan 02, 2009
Tags: ansar burney, bharatiya janata party, clemency, death row, death sentence, human rights minister, humanitarian grounds, indian kashmir, jails, l k advbjp leader, life imprisonment, life sentence, mistaken identity, pakistan government, personal level, pervez musharraf, sidelines, telephone call, yousuf