Advani says BJP only “truly” secular party in IndiaApril 21st, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore/Kolkata, Apr 21 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Prime Ministerial candidate L K Advani has said that the BJP is the only “truly” secular party in the country.
Campaigning in Bangalore, Advani charged the Congress Party of pampering to minority Muslims.
Citing December 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, his death sentenced confirmed by the Supreme Court, Advani said that he would have been hanged by now, if he were a Hindu.
“If Afzal Guru was Anand Mohan, he would have been hanged. I don’t blame the Muslims. They do not want terrorism in the country. But these people, who play vote bank politics do not understand that by having this kind of an approach, they are actually, insulting Muslims. The BJP promises that if there is any party in the country that is truly secular, it is the BJP,” Advani said.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata lashed out at the Left Front.
“Since 32 years, there is no change in West Bengal. The West Bengal Government is a government of the goons, by the goons and for the goons. They don’t accept the constitutional obligations or the public obligation. They rig the election and they kill people. They are not allowing us to campaign. This government has to be sacked. We want democratic elections,” she said.
Polling in West Bengal will be held in three stages on April 30, May 7 and May 13 as a part of the five-phased elections that commenced on April 16. (ANI)
- Afzal Guru is son-in-law of Congress, says Gadkari - May 07, 2010
- Congress mocks Trinamool desire to go it alone in 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- 'BJP not to sever ties with Shiv Sena over Pranab' - Jun 20, 2012
- Is there any government at the centre, asks Advani - Jul 10, 2011
- Afzal Guru's hanging will re-kindle militancy: Yasin Malik - Sep 29, 2011
- Bal Thackeray targets Congress, Gandhi family - Sep 07, 2012
- Congress abusing patriotism of Muslims: BJP - Jul 13, 2010
- I don't respect Advani as a leader: Mamata Banerjee - Apr 21, 2011
- BJP blames UPA Govt. of being soft on terrorism - May 09, 2010
- Hang Afzal call grows loud, nation remembers 'martyrs' (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- National leaders to campaign in Bengal next week - Apr 08, 2011
- Parliament attack recalled, families want Afzal hanged - Dec 13, 2011
- Advani questions Mamata silence on graft - Oct 21, 2011
- Probe Sushma's links to Reddy brothers: Digvijay - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: anand mohan, bharatiya janata party, campaigning, congress chief, congress party, constitutional obligations, convict, democratic elections, goons, hindu, india bangalore, kolkata, l k advani, mamata banerjee, muslims, prime ministerial candidate, public obligation, secular party, vote bank, west bengal government