ADB President calls on Mukherjee, both agree for strengthening cooperationFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 3 (ANI): Asian Development Bank (ADB) President Haruhiko Kuroda called on Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee here on Thursday, and the duo agreed for strengthening relationship and mutual cooperation.
Mukherjee said India has been a prime borrower of ADB for last 25 years and acknowledged that borrowings from it has helped a lot especially in substantive funding of infrastructure projects.
“Asian Development Bank (ADB) has been playing not only the role of prime lender for us but also a development bank for the whole region. India has been a prime borrower of ADB for last 25 years as it was in 1986 when first borrowing was made by India from ADB on the initiative of then Prime Minister late Rajeev Gandhi,” said Mukherjee after Kuroda called on him in his office here.
Kuroda earlier said that India is not only leading the global economy, also playing a major role in this region.
“We are celebrating Silver Jubilee anniversary of our relationship and cooperation and hope for another decade of strengthening relationship and mutual cooperation between ADB and India,” he said.
Pranab Mukherjee said that India is also promoting Public Private Partnership (PPP) especially in infrastructure projects, as we need one trillion dollars for this purpose during the 12th Plan out of which 50 percent has to come from private sector.
The Finance Minister said that to mark the Silver Jubilee Anniversary of relationships, India would be willing partner with ADB in promoting and developing regional and sub-regional cooperation in this region.
Mukherjee said that India would be hosting ADB Regional Meeting in 2013. He hoped that India’s long-standing association with ADB would be further strengthened in years to come. (ANI)
- India, ADB mark 25 years of partnership - Oct 11, 2011
- ADB urges Asian countries to undertake more reforms - May 04, 2012
- Mukherjee to attend ADB's annual meet in Hanoi - May 02, 2011
- ADB aid to developing countries tops $21.7 bn in 2011 - Apr 26, 2012
- India to grow by 8.5-9 percent in long term: Mukherjee - Oct 17, 2011
- ADB warns fast-growing Asian economies of middle income trap - May 04, 2011
- Mukherjee to attend ADB meet in Manila - May 02, 2012
- ADB assistance increased by 42 percent in 2009: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- ADB offers support for quake-hit Japan victims - Mar 14, 2011
- ADB 2009 performance on track: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- Asia represents world's best hope for achieving MDGs: ADB president tells UN - Sep 23, 2010
- India assumes ADB board of governors' chair - May 05, 2012
- Development banks pledge $175 bn for sustainable transport - Jun 21, 2012
- Asian economies more resilient during global crisis than expected: ADB - Aug 19, 2010
- ADB 150 mln dollar loan to help India improve its urban infrastructure - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,