Adarsh society scam: Sonia Gandhi accepts Ashok Chavan’s resignationNovember 9th, 2010 - 11:59 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 9 (ANI): Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday accepted Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan’s resignation offer following the Adarsh Cooperative Housing Society scam.
Chavan has been asked to submit his resignation to Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan.
The decision to ask Chavan to step down came hours before the winter session of Parliament was set to commence with the Opposition threatening to raise the issue.
The two-member committee comprising of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Defence Minister AK Antony has given its feedback on the scam and Chavan’s role in it to Sonia.
The committee’s report says that Chavan’s family directly benefited from the scam. But it could not find any evidence against former chief ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushil Kumar Shinde.
The committee says that the duo’s involvement was procedural.
Earlier, the Congress President had set up the two-member panel to probe how the 31-storeyed plush Adarsh Cooperative Housing Society came up on a piece of land meant for the families of Kargil martyrs and the allotment of flats to politicians, bureaucrats and military officials.
The 31-storey Adarsh Society in Colaba, Mumbai, has become the catchment area for a massive political controversy.
Former army chiefs, politicians and bureaucrats have all been allotted flats here for a fraction of the market rate.
Records show that two members of Chavan’s family, whom he describes as distant relatives, are among the 104 alottees for Adarsh Society. (ANI)
- Navy to submit Adarsh Society scam final report - Nov 03, 2010
- All corruption, nepotism charges would be dealt after due investigation: Digvijay Singh - Nov 02, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi silent on Maharashtra housing scam, CWG - Nov 02, 2010
- Alliance with Congress in Maharashtra would continue: Praful Patel - Nov 02, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: Mukherjee, Antony meet Sonia; discuss Chavan's fate - Nov 01, 2010
- Maharashtra CM Chavan to meet Mukherjee - Oct 31, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: 'I welcome any sort of CBI probe', says Chavan - Oct 29, 2010
- Maharashtra Congress chief calls for truce between CM, predecessors - Nov 01, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: Nitin Gadkari demands dismissal of Maharashtra Government - Nov 01, 2010
- Premature to comment on Adarsh Housing scam: Pranab Mukherjee - Oct 31, 2010
- Chavan offers to quit over housing scam (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh scam: Deshmukh blames former ministers - Jun 27, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Ex-legislator, CBI lawyer nabbed for graft - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP demands immediate resignation of Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan - Oct 30, 2010
- Am yet to discuss Adarsh matter with Antony: Pranab - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: army chiefs, ashok, catchment area, chavan, chief minister, chief ministers, congress president sonia gandhi, cooperative housing, defence minister, deshmukh, distant relatives, finance minister, housing society, kargil martyrs, member committee, member panel, political controversy, pranab mukherjee, sushil kumar, winter session