Adarsh Society scam: ‘I welcome any sort of CBI probe’, says ChavanOctober 29th, 2010 - 10:40 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct 29 (ANI): Reacting to the allegations surrounding the Adarsh Cooperative Housing Society scam, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on Friday said that he did not abuse his position to help his relatives get flats in the society, and added that he welcomes any sort of a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the scam.
“I was not the Chief Minister of Maharashtra when the request for land came up. I have no role in allotment. I have not abused my position. These are politically motivated allegations,” said Chavan.
“In 2004 we decided to allot land for this society, I was not the minister when the land got allotted, I was not the revenue minister when the allotment happened finally. I was also not the minister when letter of intent was first sent,” he added.
Chavan further said the land belongs to the State Government, and it was not reserved for Kargil widows or war heroes.
“The land belongs to the state government, based on the Collector’s records. Revenue department land granted to the Society as per GR of 9.7.1999. This land falls outside defence boundary. It was not reserved for war veterans or Kargil heroes,” said Chavan.
The 31-storey high-rise in Colaba has become the catchment area for a massive political controversy.
Former army chiefs, politicians and bureaucrats have all been allotted flats here for a fraction of the market rate.
Records show that two members of Chavan’s family, whom he describes as distant relatives, are among the 104 alottees for Adarsh Society.
The CBI is now investigating the scam. (ANI)
- Adarsh Society scam: Maharashtra CM to meet Sonia Gandhi today - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: PM says will make 'meaningful comment' after collecting facts - Oct 30, 2010
- Mukherjee, Antony to probe Adarsh society scam, Chavan to continue as CM - Oct 30, 2010
- Chavan meets Sonia, offers to resign as Maharashtra CM - Oct 30, 2010
- BJP demands immediate resignation of Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan - Oct 30, 2010
- Ashok Chavan to be given honourable exit from Maharashtra CM's post - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh Society land belongs to Maharashtra government: Shinde - May 26, 2011
- Adarsh land belonged to state, not meant for war heroes: Minister (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Ashok Chavan shifts Adarsh blame to Deshmukh - Jun 20, 2011
- Maharashtra Congress chief calls for truce between CM, predecessors - Nov 01, 2010
- Navy to submit Adarsh Society scam final report - Nov 03, 2010
- Adarsh society scam: Sonia Gandhi accepts Ashok Chavan's resignation - Nov 09, 2010
- Maharashtra CM Chavan to meet Mukherjee - Oct 31, 2010
- Alliance with Congress in Maharashtra would continue: Praful Patel - Nov 02, 2010
- Adarsh scam: Shinde summoned as witness - May 02, 2011
Tags: allotment, army chiefs, ashok, bureaucrats, catchment area, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister of maharashtra, colaba, cooperative housing, distant relatives, housing society, kargil heroes, kargil widows, letter of intent, political controversy, revenue minister, state government, war heroes, war veterans