Actor robots make theatrical debut in JapanNovember 27th, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 27 (ANI): You must have heard about dancing robots, house-sitting robots, but now a new breed of robots is taking the world by storm give it up for acting robots!
The new species of robots is making its big debut on the Japanese stage.
The play, titled Hataraku Watashi (I, Worker), which had its premiere at Osaka University, is one of Japan’’s first robot-human theatre productions.
The robots are specially programmed to speak lines with human actors and move around the stage with them.
According to playwright Oriza Hirata says the work, set in the near future, has raised questions about the relationship between humanity and technology.
The play is based on the life of a young couple that own two housekeeping robots, one of which loses its motivation to work.
The robot in the play complains that it has been forced into boring and demeaning jobs and then enters into a discussion with the humans about its role in their lives.
Right now, the plays length is only 20 minutes but its makers are hoping that it will become a full-length production by 2010.
The Wakamaru robot is manufactured by Mitsubushi but the software to train it for the stage was developed over two months at the university.
The 1-m (3-ft) tall humanoid robot is best known as a mechanical house-sitter and secretary, reports BBC.
The makers are now hoping that these robots will soon be signing autographs or trying to roll away from paparazzi. (ANI)
- Robot makes debut performance on stage - Nov 16, 2010
- Robot Actress Geminoid F Debuts in Japan - Nov 13, 2010
- Robot marathon to take place in Japan - Feb 25, 2011
- Japan's Robotic actress takes stage - Nov 12, 2010
- Can robots be blamed for killing civilians? - Apr 24, 2012
- A living robot who smiles, sings like a girl! - Apr 12, 2012
- Table tennis playing robots debut in China - Oct 11, 2011
- Like humans, chimps too give birth to backward-facing babies - Apr 20, 2011
- Delhi lad hopes his robots will bend it like Beckham - Jul 12, 2010
- World's first android marathon flagged off - Feb 25, 2011
- Scientists create robot which registers human emotions - Jul 16, 2012
- Japan to send Twitter-using humanoid robot in space - Feb 18, 2011
- Winner of world's first robot marathon crosses the line after 55 hrs! - Feb 27, 2011
- Chennai students win award for humanoid robot - Feb 15, 2011
- Robot punches humans to test pain thresholds - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: autographs, bbc, full length, hirata, house sitter, housekeeping, human actors, humanoid robot, japanese stage, mitsubushi, motivation, new breed, osaka university, playwright, relationship, robots, taking the world by storm, theatrical debut, wakamaru robot, young couple