Abhinav Bindra creates history, wins gold in 10m air rifle event at OlympicsAugust 11th, 2008 - 12:00 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 11 (ANI): India’’s 23-year-old Abhinav Bindra created history today in Beijing, by wining the first gold medal in any individual category for India in the 108-year Olympics history.
He won the gold medal in men’’s 10-meter air rifle event after earning a total of 700.5 points.
Earlier, Abhinav, who became the first Indian individual gold medallist at the Olympics, had qualified for the men’’s 10m air rifle event finals. He finished the qualifying event joint fourth with Romania’’s George Alin Moldoveanu after the duo shot a score of 596/600.
He scored a series of 100,99,100,98,100 and 99 in the qualifiers.
However, India’’s other medal hope Gagan Narang failed to make the final cut in the same event finishing ninth with a score of 595/600. He shot a series of 97, 100, 100, 100, 98 and 100.
Abhinav, who was the youngest Indian participant at the 2000 Olympic Games, won six gold medals at various international meets in 2001. In the Air rifle event at the 2002 Commonwealth Games, Manchester, he won gold in the Pairs event and silver in the individual event. At the 2004 Olympic Games, he broke the Olympic record but failed to win a medal.
He is a recipient of the Arjuna award in 2001 and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award for the year 2001-2002. (ANI)
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Vice President congratulates Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
- President, PM congratulate Abhinav Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
- It''s hard to describe how happy I am, says Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins India's first medal a bronze (India Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: first medal in, hopes alive in badminton and tennis (Overall India Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG: Indian shooters bag 2 golds, silver too in the kitty (Afternoon lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: 10m air rifle, 2004 olympic games, alin, beijing, commonwealth games manchester, final cut, gold medal, gold medallist, gold medals, history today, moldoveanu, olympic games, olympic record, olympics, olympics history, pairs event, participant, rajiv gandhi, recipient, year 2001