Abdullah meets Antony over civilian killings in KashmirMarch 17th, 2009 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah met Defence Minister A.K. Antony here Tuesday and is understood to have discussed with him the killing of civilians in an allegedly unprovoked firing by army personnel in the state in February.
Abdullah called on Antony at his residence.
“The Jammu and Kashmir chief minister met the defence minister,” a defence ministry official said.
Abdullah has assured that he would ensure “exemplary punishment” to the army personnel if found guilty for the Feb 21 firing that killed two civilians at Bumai village near north Kashmir Sopore town.
During the meeting with Antony, Abdullah is understood to have discussed the killings and the defence minister has assured to look into the matter.
The civilian killings sparked widespread protests in the Kashmir Valley following which the government ordered a magisterial probe. The probe has indicted some personnel of the counter insurgency Rashtriya Rifles.
- Civilian killings: Abdullah ensures 'exemplary punishment' to guilty - Mar 04, 2009
- Army men found guilty of killing civilians in Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian Army chief meets Omar Adbullah on AFSPA - Nov 15, 2011
- Omar Abdullah meets Chidambaram - Jul 17, 2010
- Abdullah orders probe into alleged J-K fake encounters - May 29, 2010
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- AFSPA removal issue being pursued, says Omar - Jan 05, 2012
- Antony reviews security situation - Nov 15, 2011
- Omar Abdullah urges Chidambaram to help end violence in Kashmir - Jun 28, 2010
- Abdullah visits bereaved family, condoles youth's death (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Condemn civilian killing by guerrillas, Omar dares separatists - Jul 25, 2011
- Eid package for Kashmir likely Friday - Sep 09, 2010
- Three army men found guilty of killing civilians in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2009
Tags: antony, army personnel, civilian killings, civilians, counter insurgency, defence minister, defence ministry, exemplary punishment, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kashmir valley, march 17, ministry official, New Delhi, north kashmir, protests, rashtriya rifles