A nonagenarian in Bihar rescuedMay 31st, 2009 - 1:12 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, May 31 (ANI): Police in Patna freed a nonagenarian from his captors, believed to be some anti-social elements, who allegedly had kept in captivity with an aim to grab his property.
Bhagwant Narayan Pandey aged 93 years was held hostage in his own house located at Dewan on the outskirts of Patna.
According to neighbours, Bhagwant who is ailing lived all alone in one part of his fifty-roomed mansion worth millions.
His captors have been identified as Indu Pandey and Babu Chandra, incidentally his tenants.
Babu Chandra, who was staying as a tenant for six years, had stopped paying rent over half a decade ago and on being asked either to pay or vacate, he is reported to have threatened to kill Pandey, his landlord.
Bhagwant has accused Indu Pandey of not letting him donate his property for the education of the poor.
“I want to donate everything for the education of the poor but a lady named Indu Pandey is not letting me do it,” said Bhagwant.
On learning from the neighbours that a nonagenarian named Bhagwant was held captive in his home for nearly three days, the police raided the place and rescued him.
Sub Inspector R K Mishra of Pat Khaje Kala Police Station mentioned that Bhagwant had been rescued and adequate police protection have been provided to him.
“Bhagwant was found locked inside the room. We brought him outside the room and asked the relevant details from him. How far his allegations are true will be known only after the investigations. As far as his protection is concerned, we have deployed the police force for that,” said Mishra.
Of late the instances of senior citizens being tortured for their property have increased despite several measures mooted by the government to protect them from usurpers. (ANI)
- Bihar legislator acquitted in abduction case - Jul 28, 2010
- Court orders confiscation of former DGP's assets - Feb 01, 2012
- Ex-Bihar police chief's illegal assets to be seized - Jul 24, 2012
- Woman, locked up by mother for 7 years, rescued - Jun 14, 2011
- Two Bihar legislators face social boycott - Jul 24, 2012
- Woman, three youths from northeast assaulted, one held - Jan 08, 2011
- Man poisons wife, daughters, hangs himself - Sep 21, 2010
- Two Patna siblings rescued from 2-year lock-in - May 17, 2011
- To track ill-gotten assets, Bihar ready to cross borders - Feb 16, 2012
- Railway employee held for raping minor - Jul 28, 2010
- India's first air ambulance crash kills 10, probe ordered (Roundup) - May 26, 2011
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- Bihar cracks whip again, sacks corrupt official - Jan 24, 2012
- Madrassa teacher held for sodomising student - Mar 23, 2011
- Kidnap victim freed after scrawling note on toilet paper - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: allegations, babu, bihar, captivity, chandra, hostage, indu, instances, kala, landlord, mishra, neighbours, nonagenarian, outskirts, police force, police protection, police station, relevant details, senior citizens, social elements