A mass marriage for Godhra riots victimsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:33 am ICT by admin
Aziz Dangiwala, President of the AST said the mass marriage came as a blessing to the victims.
“These couples are from different riot-affected regions of Gujarat. Most of them are yet to be rehabilitated and have been staying in relief camps,” he said.
The event also reduced the financial burden that these couples would have had to incur in a traditional marriage.
“Mass marriage is an excellent concept that will help avoid excess expenditure. I think it would immensely please Allah if Muslims adopt this practice,” said Professor J. S. Bandukwala, member of the AST.
Over 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, were killed in Gujarat in retaliation for the burning alive of 59 Hindu pilgrims on February 27,2002 at Godhra town by a suspected Muslim mob.
For the grooms, the mass marriage presented an opportunity to begin life afresh.
“I lost all my property and my house during the 2002 riots,” said Sheikh Abdul, a groom.
“I am happy that I am starting a new life. I had to suffer much pain and tension during the riots. I don’t want to remember the agony,” said Ashiyana Bano, a bride
The marriages were solemnised on Monday in accordance with Islamic rituals and the guests on the occasion were treated to a decent austere feast.
Each couple was gifted with furniture, utensils, clothes and other gifts by the self-help group. (ANI)
- Gujarat police officer Sanjiv Bhatt suspended (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Gujarat police officer Sanjiv Bhatt suspended (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre - Apr 09, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Bhatt went to Modi's house, says driver - Apr 23, 2011
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Nine convicted, 32 acquitted for Gujarat riots case (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 04, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims may file plea to make cop a witness - Jun 21, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Prosecutor withdraws resignation - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Narendra Modi needn't depose before Nanavati panel' (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- Centre conspiring against Modi, says Rajanth - Jul 26, 2012
- Despite exoneration, Narendra Modi cannot play national role (Comment) - Apr 14, 2012
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: adarsh, ast, austere, bano, burning alive, couples, excess expenditure, financial burden, godhra riots, gujarat, hindu pilgrims, immensely, islamic rituals, muslims, relief camps, seva, suspected muslim, traditional marriage, voluntary body